Texas Clod-ie Whole Beef Shoulder

Started by Brother Bill, August 08, 2006, 12:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Bill

Does anyone know who sells this beast Mail Order? Frozen OK. All large super markets receive their meat Pre-cut in smaller amounts. Thanks

BB

Just found local butcher 8/11/06. See reply to Iceman this day! ???

MallardWacker

Big Bill of Brother,

I have heard of such of a piece of meat, folks have said it could be a little hard to cook but that being said I would think you would have to one of them real butchers, I know they are hard to find and sometimes they charge for being in the minority but I think that is your only chance...Let us know.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Brother Bill

MallardWacker;

The Clod is as easy to smoke-cook or just slow cook as any brisket or large pork butt. We feel it tastes much better than a brisket, depending how you season it. as you know, the tasty CHUCK is foll of flavor by itself. I season it (or any large chuck roast) with "yellow mustard, S&P, & plenty of Emeril's Essence. Then either smoke for 3-4hrs (apple & hickory). Pull at 180/190 & FTC 3-4 Hrs.

BBill  8)

iceman

Hey BBill;
Weight wise how big of a roast do you smoke at once? That sure sounds good if I can find it up here.

Brother Bill

Iceman:

Texas Clod can weigh anywhere between 14-18 lbs. You can cut it in half, then I would smoke it for less time. The taste is in the "tongue of the beholder". For us the larger ones seem to be more Juicy because of the fat content. however, smaller size  should be OK after FTC.

BB

P.S. I understand that some supermarkets will special order for you if you order a few Clods to freeze.

Our local Italian Butcher shop just advised this AM he will special order any amt., but hasn't advised the cost!
The last one we did came from Texas,sent frozen from a friend. we don't wish to take advantage of their kindness a second time. BB

iceman

Thanks BB.
I just talked to my buddy at Mr. Prime Beef while I was picking up a half dozen briskets for next weekend and he said he orders them for folks all the time. He is going to call me with a price before placing the order. I'm not sure what a reasonable cost per pound would be. Got any guidlines?
Thanks again for your help.