• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bisquette Burner

Started by Ctiller, January 24, 2016, 09:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctiller

Gentlemen...

First...thanks for such a great forum....you guys are way more knowledgeable than I'll ever be on this stuff....

I just got the BDS4 for Christmas....seasoned it yesterday with no issue....set it up this AM with a 5 lb Brisket and left for Church....

When I returned, it was showing 200 degrees, set on 270 and I had 5 unburned pucks in the water.....

I understand the heat issue and have found the fixes for that on the forum(its about 33 here today) but it appears my burner is toast....not sure what happened, worked fine yesterday, but today isn't heating to the point that I couldn't touch it bare handed....

I got the BDS4 to replace my OBS....can I use the old burner from the OBS as a replacement for the one in the BDS4?

beefmann

how exactly is your smoker plug in?
are you  running it on an extension cord?
is it pluged directly into the  wall?
is there any  other load on that circuit?
did you pre warm your smoker?

sorry for the questions,,, they  help to figure out the  problem... it seems to me that you  have a  low voltage problem creating your puck burner not getting  hot  enough... I do not think the  puck burner is bad,,, just low voltage to the unit...the voltage should be at or near 115 to 120 volts ac...this is  under load... much  less then that .. we start have heating  issues  like what you are seeing,,,

if you  have a digital volt meter... check the voltage at the receptacle that the  smoker is on... and go from there

Ctiller

Thanks for the help.  Circuit is good, no extension cord.

This is the same setup as I ran the "seasoning" process yesterday.

for an additional question....do the OBS and the DBS share the same connections for the burner?  I could take the burner out of my OBS and put it in the new BDS?

Habanero Smoker

The bisquette burner fits all 4 and 6 rack models, but before you make any swaps you should do a bit more troubleshooting. It may be a micro switch problem, which can cause the bisquettes to continuously feed through.

The below link will provide information that may help.
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I forgot to add, you can test the burner. One way is to use an infrared thermometer and take the temperature; dead center of the burner, after it had time to preheat. You should get a temperature around 550°F; the temperature may fluctuate between 545°F - 555°F. An other way to test if the burner is providing enough heat to burn the bisquettes, after preheating the burner place a bisquette on top of the burner. Set a kitchen timer for 20 minutes then go back and check if it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ctiller

Thanks for the continued help....while I was away, I took the brisket off and put it in the Texas crutch....

I took apart the unit and the connections are different between the OBS and the BDS.

As for the temp....I could pick it up with my bare hand....and like I said in the intro.....I didn't change anything of the setup between yesterday when it worked like a champ on the seasoning process and today....I just brought the control unit in for the night....

Habanero Smoker

When you disassembled the burner, did you notice if any of the connections may have been loose? Call Bradley they will replace that burner.

I'm surprised they are not interchangeable. According to Yard & Pool that part fits; 4 Rack Digital BTDS76P, 6 Rack Digital BTDS108P, Original Black BS611, Original Black BTIS1, Original Stainless BTST02.
Bisquette Burner

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ctiller

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 25, 2016, 02:08:39 AM
When you disassembled the burner, did you notice if any of the connections may have been loose? Call Bradley they will replace that burner.

I'm surprised they are not interchangeable. According to Yard & Pool that part fits; 4 Rack Digital BTDS76P, 6 Rack Digital BTDS108P, Original Black BS611, Original Black BTIS1, Original Stainless BTST02.
Bisquette Burner

Yes, checked all of the connections and all appeared OK....I think the part itself is interchangeable, but Bradley has changed the connector from the OBS(was a flat 2) to the BDS which is a square 3.  I could change the connector, but figured I really shouldn't have to on a brand new product.

Again, I'd like to say you guys have a great forum and I'm glad to have found it.  Thanks for everyone's help.

Ctiller

Just like you guys said....called Customer Service and they're shipping a new one out to me today!