Tips....

Started by jeffncris, February 01, 2016, 06:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffncris

Hi guys,
   I'm a newbie, and I'm looking for a set and forget rib recipe. i want to slap them in at lunch and than pull them off when I get home. One rack will be dry rub, the other with sauce. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
jeffncris

TedEbear

Did you read the replies to your other threads about the ribs?

jeffncris

I did actually, and thanks. They referred to the 3-2-1 method, I was looking for a set it and forget it method if there is one.

watchdog56

I just season ribs night before wrap in cello and put in frig. Next day take out of frig,under wrap and put in smoker at 225 with 2-3 hours of either apple or hickory smoke and take out when meat pulls back from bone at least 1/2 ". I usually turn ribs half way through smoke and rotate racks if I have more than one. If you won't be there to turn or rotate racks I would suggest either putting them on one of the top two racks.

Habanero Smoker

I don't believe there is a way to set and forget ribs in the Bradley, or even a charcoal/wood burner; and get decent ribs. If you are going to cook them naked (without foiling); About an hour prior to placing my ribs in my smoker, I usually apply either honey mustard or peanut oil to the ribs, just before applying my rub. When the surface of the ribs get "wet", I place them in 225°F preheated Bradley. You may want to preheat higher, to compensate for loss of heat while loading the Bradley, then cook at 225°F. As watchdog suggested, you should rotate the racks. With the Bradley and if doing baby backs, I will rotate every two hours, for the first four hours. After 4 hours; start checking for tenderness every 30 minutes. For spare ribs, I'll rotate the racks every two hours for the first six hours, then start checking for tenderness every 30 minute. I generally will apply 2 hours of pecan.

What I mean by rotating, is to rotate the racks 180°, and from bottom to top. I'm particular about my tenderness, so I don't rely on the pull back of the meat. I have cooked several rack, where there was not pull back, so I rely on my skewer test.

By the way! What type of ribs are you cooking? Also it is not safe to leave your Bradley unattended for that length of time. Will there be some home to monitor your smoker?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jeffncris

Thank you for the the info guys, I appreciate it! I was looking for a lazy way to do this while I am at work, but I think the tried and true 3-2-1 is the way to go for me. I will be cooking baby backs, and yeah my wife will be around while they are cooking so no problem there.
thanks again!

fremontfrank1

Hello all
The one thing comes out of que'ing is not a set and forget in diver. You can reduce you needs to stand over the fire but you can never leave it alone. Plus that time away lets leaves you time to work and those yummy sides. Always use 3-2-1
method for ribs. even other meats, to help keep them moister. Bought a roll of aluminum foil from smart & final 500 feet
best investment ever, $22..