I made Nacho Sausage

Started by Northern_Smoke, June 06, 2016, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Ok I got some time today to make the sausage. I will go through the recipe and what I would and wouldn't do next time. The recipe is done in percentage of meat weight. So anyone looking to try this be forewarned that there is no volume measurements yet.

The spices starting at the top of the plate going clockwise are salt, cumin, dehydrated onion flakes, jalapeno, sun dried tomato, garlic, Pepper and in the middle is the fresh cilantro

I used this brand of enchilada sauce

And finally the crushed Doritos

I got it all mixed up and made a very small test patty. It was good but didn't have a tex-mex flavour yet. So I added more cumin and still not enough flavour. So I added cumin one more time to arrive at what is in the recipe above.

From the last little test patty I fried I found the flavours to be very subtle. The heat is not as strong as I was planning. I would cut back on the cilantro next time. I won't make any notes on the recipe until I stuff it and grill it. I know flavours can change quite a bit after the meat has sat for a few hours. I don't have time to stuff these this morning so my plan is to stuff them this afternoon when the kids get home to help crank the stuffer and we will eat them tomorrow for supper. So there may be an update with what needs to be changed :)

I am already quite fond of what came out of the first test batch so I believe this will get some tweaking and become a keeper once its just right.

Anyways, enjoy the pics for now until I can get and update after it is stuffed and grilled.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"