Thanksgiving turkey

Started by collinolesen, November 23, 2016, 12:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collinolesen

Hey guys I'm getting ready for thanks giving and I am trying to figure out how much time to apply smoke. I don't want a heavy smoke flavor. But I do want it to be present. I am going to use apple wood. Also do you experts use a separate drip pan to baste with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I also use apple when I smoke a turkey. I find that two hours of smoke gives a good smoke flavor.

You don't want to baste the turkey while it is in the smoker. You want to keep that door closed, and only open when absolutely necessary. Each time you open the door, you allow heat to escape which adds additional time to the full cook time.

I've only tried to capture the dripping once for gravy, but by the end  of the cook everything evaporated in the pan. I suppose you can add some low sodium chicken broth to the pan you want to capture the dripping in. If you want the dripping for gravy, or dressing; the cavity collects a lot of juices, just be careful how you take the turkey out of the smoker to avoid spilling the juices on the floor. Have a rimmed sheet pan (cookie pan) to carry the turkey indoors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

collinolesen

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 23, 2016, 01:01:36 PM
I also use apple when I smoke a turkey. I find that two hours of smoke gives a good smoke flavor.

You don't want to baste the turkey while it is in the smoker. You want to keep that door closed, and only open when absolutely necessary. Each time you open the door, you allow heat to escape which adds additional time to the full cook time.

I've only tried to capture the dripping once for gravy, but by the end  of the cook everything evaporated in the pan. I suppose you can add some low sodium chicken broth to the pan you want to capture the dripping in. If you want the dripping for gravy, or dressing; the cavity collects a lot of juices, just be careful how you take the turkey out of the smoker to avoid spilling the juices on the floor. Have a rimmed sheet pan (cookie pan) to carry the turkey indoors.
Sounds good I guess I will scrap the basting idea. Thanks I will try two hours of smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedEbear

Habaero Smoker has given you some good advice.  If you have more questions, you can probably find answers in the Poultry section of the forum.  Lots of tips and ideas about smoking turkey in there.