Yesterday's Experiment (first time for me)

Started by cherrybergher, May 03, 2017, 08:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherrybergher

Decided to finally do some cheese before it get's too warm here as I don't have an adaptor.  I did about 2lbs of cheddar with 2 hours of cherry

It was about 15 degrees C here so I'm glad I did such a big piece of ice.  According to my igrill 2, the cabinet temp peaked between 90-95F

And I threw the eggs in for the last 20 mins, and they worked out really well

Now comes the hard part, the wait of at least 8 weeks before I can sample any.  I guess I'll just do some cashews or trout in the meantime.  Any advice or comments always welcome

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

watchdog56

Looks good. The wait will be worth it.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

RedJada

Your going to love that cheese. But you should have done a few different types, the waiting part will drive you crazy. One of my favorites is smoked apple blu cheese, great on grilled burgers and in salads or into a chip dip.
Cashews are great in the Bradley, so are Pistachios. I make these around the holidays and share them with friends and co-workers and all feed back is amazing. Only do this one time a year so now I ask people to before I do them so they can put orders in, LOL

2lbs  Roasted Cashews

1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon of salt

Let rest for 30 minutes and into the smoker.

Maple smoke for one hour @ 200

3lbs of in shell Pistachios

1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 table spoons of real butter
2 teaspoons of salt (standard table)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Combine in a small sauce pan and heat until melted.

3 fresh limes

Take three fresh limes, cut and squeeze into a large mixing bowl or pot. Slowly pour and stir the melted mixture into the lime juice. You don't want the warm brown sugar to crystallize. Add the Pistachios and mix by hand until well covered. Let set for 30 minutes before putting in the smoker.

Maple smoke for one hour @ 200

Johnny

Looks good! I was in Costco today and bought some double smoked 2 year old cheddar lol. ;)

cherrybergher

Thanks for the recipe  RedJada, I appreciate it, I think some nuts are next.  I think it's getting a bit too warm here for more cheese, so I might need to wait till the beginning of fall and do a bunch to get me through the winter, along with some trout and chex mix.

Johnny, I know, we were on the way home the other day from costco and I was really disappointed I didn't look for any of the big blocks of jalapeno havarti I think it would be excellent smoked.

Thanks everyone for all comments and advice

BDS 4 Rack

paulopadrao

It s nice. Now i show my portuguese cheese.
2 diferent tipes of cheese: melted and more dry cheeses t

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

Johnny

Quote from: cherrybergher on May 03, 2017, 09:08:02 PM
Thanks for the recipe  RedJada, I appreciate it, I think some nuts are next.  I think it's getting a bit too warm here for more cheese, so I might need to wait till the beginning of fall and do a bunch to get me through the winter, along with some trout and chex mix.

Johnny, I know, we were on the way home the other day from costco and I was really disappointed I didn't look for any of the big blocks of jalapeno havarti I think it would be excellent smoked.

Thanks everyone for all comments and advice
You need Newfoundland weather to smoke cheese.. if its too hot, wait 5 mins and its cold enough to smoke it lol

pensrock

I smoke a LOT of cheese. And I prefer to keep the smoker 90-95F unless doing a real soft cheese that melt fast. (I have even done Velveeta at a low temp.) So your temperature was perfect as far as I am concerned. Only thing I would have done differently is: I would have cut the cheese into the smaller blocks before smoking, that way more surface area gets the smoke. The smoke coating will keep the cheese from getting mold for over a year even not vacuum packed. But once it is cut (after smoking) it can get moldy just like any other cheese. Vac packing will also prevent the mold however I never vac pack my cheeses, they are fine wrapped in the fridge as long as I do not cut into the block till I'm ready to use that piece. Overall you did a great job and it will be great in a few weeks.  :)

cherrybergher

Thanks for the tips pensrock, no kidding Johnny, I lived in Calgary for two years and experienced a bit of that for sure
BDS 4 Rack