Smoking Almonds - Cold smoke or hot smoke?

Started by AkBillyBow, June 07, 2017, 11:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AkBillyBow

All,

I want to smoke some almonds for the first time, and have been researching what others have posted on the forum.  I am trying to decide which is best:  hot smoke or cold smoke.  Seems like a split decision from what I have read.

I just learned last night that the "raw" almonds we all buy in the stores are no longer really raw, but are pasteurized (usually with steamed water) by law in California.  I wanted "real raw" almonds, for the health benefits.  I learned the only "real raw" almonds you can buy must be purchased directly from the farmers that grow them.  So I ordered 20# online last night, and am trying to get all schooled up on smoking them.

So.....hot or cold smoked?  I am leaning towards cold smoke, so they stay "raw" and full of nutrients.  But, I am a bit concerned also, as I do not want to make anyone sick.

So what are your opinions...hot or cold smoked?  Any real issue with cold smoking them and keeping them "raw"?

Thanks for your time!!

AkBillyBow

Habanero Smoker

If your almonds are clean and edible while raw, then cold smoking will be fine. I purchase raw almonds, and hot smoke them, because I want then roasted. I will often brine, hot smoke, the finish roasting in my kitchen oven. I believe the self life of raw almonds is less than if you roasted them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gafala

I always by roosted Almonds 25lbs at a time and cold smoke them. Most of the time I use Hickory.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

AkBillyBow

Thanks for the replies!!  I had read posts from both of you about smoking nuts, and figured you both would answer.  I will do them first as cold smoked and keep them "raw".  I may tried them hot smoked, just to have a comparison.  I have also copied a couple of hot smoked recipes that I want to give a try.

Thanks for the help !!

AkBillyBow