The End - Finally

Started by David6340, July 19, 2004, 02:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

Well after a 7 hour smoke of spareribs where the temp did not go over 190 I finally took them off. Good taste but not very tender. Also this was my first try at spareribs instead of backs. We found that we could not cut most of the ribs straight down between the bones to seperate each rib as there was a bone that ran horizontally about half was through. I don't know if thats the nature of spareribs or an issue I should take up with my butcher. In addition, my concern is why I could not get a temp over 190. At least it's over. Now the cleaning.

Dave

nsxbill

Hello again David,

I know someone mentioned this already to you, and if you are considering extra racks for your BS, I would suggest you get the jerkey racks.  Purchasing these instead of the conventional rack makes more sense because you not only get more rack, the new racks can be used for jerkey.

I know I will eventually have to utilize all the room I have in the BS, and getting the temp takes such a long time.  I liked the idea posted up about  heating up a modified red fire brick and then putting it on the drip tray surrounding the SS bowl.  Heats up quicker and maintains heat in the BS better when you just have to sneak an early peak.

My first two exeperiences with the BS have been good.  I know it will get better.

Happy smoking,

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

David6340

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the good idea. At this point, I'm pretty frustrated because I had a house full of people and for the majority of the smoking time, the BS did not go over 150F. It was only after 5 hours that it started to go up a little bit and keep in mind that I never opened the door. With that in mind, if your planning to fill the smoker for company, how long would it take to cook anything with smoking temps below 200? I'm thinking that maybe I should use the BS just for my wife and myself and go with the kettle for company. Thanks again Bill.

MallardWacker

David,

Concerning your spareribs, they are not my favorite,  you are correct-there is an extra knuckle/joint(lack for a better term) about 2/3 the way down the rib.  Injoy backs much more but the price of them can get to you$$$.  Sorry to hear about the temp-200 should of been easy (eventually).  I know I had two FULL racks of brisket this weekend (first time w/brisket), around 22lbs or so, it took about 4 hrs to get up to temp, I put my meat in basicly cold, but after that I could get any temp I wanted. I think this may of been because of the BS temp probe was between the two racks and may of not been totally correct.  Back to spare ribs, IMHO, that they need to get to over 175 -185 of internal temp, also I do the same ol' thing, wrap in foil and then in a towl for a couple of hours, they will come out tender at that point, I will also say that it will not be as nice as loin backs though.  Also, great job on not opening the door. Have a great day...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Eat This

David
I dont even own a BS yet (but the day is almost here). I dont want to insulte you but researched the crap out of the bradley and several others in the same price point. Did you use a digital thermometer? I only ask cause it seems bradley has a high defective rate on the thermometers that come with it.