Pulled Pork drying out

Started by Stan the smoker man, July 06, 2017, 01:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan the smoker man

Newbie to the forum,  After pulling the pork in Aluminum pans to serve it dried out rather quickly.  Tedebear adds back broth. Does anyone add back a mixture of 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 apple cider vinegar, 1/3 water with some rub thrown in?

GusRobin

I don't. I don't wrap when it is cooking, but cook it to 200-205 range (maybe lower --all depends when it passes the tender test). I do FTC it (double foil, wrap in towel and put in a cooler (no ice) for an hour or so.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

I generally defat the drippings, add a little back during FTC, and the rest as needed when pulling.

Habanero Smoker

You may have over cooked the pork. Do you know what internal temperature you took yours too?

If you are referring to adding a sauce after you pull it, always add a vinegar based sauce to my pulled pork; just enough to enhanced the flavor and not over power the pork.

My version of Vaunted Vinegar Sauce

1 C. Nakano rice vinegar ( apple cider vinegar will give it a more tangy taste)
1 Tbs. brown sugar (other sweeteners can be used)
1 tsp  table salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or hot pepper flakes, or 1 tsp. of your favorite rub mixture

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients. Cover, leave at room temperature, and let set for at least 1 hour so that flavors meld. I use this in the amount of about 2 cups for a pork shoulder that weighed 7 or more pounds, prior to smoking. I then adjust the amount until I get the flavor I'm looking for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stan the smoker man

Thanks I was referring to adding back something after you pull the pork, It was moist when pulled but dried out sitting in the serving dish. 

Wildcat

Never had that issue. Then again I smoke at around 205 until it passes fork test. Meat will be around 175 to 195 when done.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Walt

I had seen on one of the videos on utube with Franklin that if you don't let it rest long enough it will dry out within seconds of pulling apart.

Sole Door

Quote from: Walt on July 30, 2017, 11:44:57 AM
I had seen on one of the videos on utube with Franklin that if you don't let it rest long enough it will dry out within seconds of pulling apart.
Sorry for bringing this topic back. Can you share me the link?

TedEbear

Quote from: Sole Door on November 05, 2017, 08:53:32 AM
Sorry for bringing this topic back. Can you share me the link?

A quick Google search and...

BBQ with Franklin: Pulled Pork

deputy374

So, this guy is recommending cooking temp to be 275.  Is that the norm?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

deputy374

Everything I'm reading suggest cooking temp around 225.  And average cook time will be about 1 hour per pound.

Habanero Smoker

These days cooking temperatures in barbeque there doesn't seem to be a norm. The cooking temperature of 225°F is common, especially with the Bradley, because you are not going to get much higher. From my experience, the higher you cook at, the more it has an effect on texture, and the final meat temperature you are looking for.

At 225° you are looking at 90 minutes per pound for butts and brisket. At 275°F you are looking at 1 hour per pound. These are guidelines. You may find your butt is cooking faster, but more often than not it will take longer. Go by the internal temperature, and use the fork test; which is inserting a fork and twisting it. It should twist with little resistance. That is my preferred way of testing. Another way is to insert the probe in several areas. It should easily slide in and out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deputy374

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 03, 2018, 01:55:26 AM
These days cooking temperatures in barbeque there doesn't seem to be a norm. The cooking temperature of 225°F is common, especially with the Bradley, because you are not going to get much higher. From my experience, the higher you cook at, the more it has an effect on texture, and the final meat temperature you are looking for.

At 225° you are looking at 90 minutes per pound for butts and brisket. At 275°F you are looking at 1 hour per pound. These are guidelines. You may find your butt is cooking faster, but more often than not it will take longer. Go by the internal temperature, and use the fork test; which is inserting a fork and twisting it. It should twist with little resistance. That is my preferred way of testing. Another way is to insert the probe in several areas. It should easily slide in and out.
Thank you very much for the feedback.  This is my first electric smoker.  I've used a wood/charcoal smoker for years which can be quite rewarding but, time consuming.  I've smoked on this a couple times and I gotta admit, it's a strange feeling being able to walk away from a smoker without keeping a constant check on it.  I am enjoying it and have enjoyed the results.  Thanks again.

deputy374

Well I've had my pork butt on since 3am (cst) and just checked it.  It's been smoking with cherry wood for 4 hours.  I don't quite have that great looking bark but, I didn't use a lot of black pepper.  I am smoking the fat side up and the fat portion has that cracked look like the video suggested.  I lightly sprayed it with apple cider vinegar.  I hate vinegar so I hope that doesn't ruin it.  Definitely trying the apple juice next time.  It's wrapped in aluminum foil now and back in the smoker.  Internal temp was ranging from 140-150.