Brisket and pork shoulder cook times. Extreme cooking time?

Started by hvhunter, August 03, 2017, 07:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvhunter

Original Bradley with dual element modification, auberins pid.

Every time a do a brisket or pork shoulder, I seem to be pressed for time, and end up rushing the meat by slowly cranking up the temp the last hours. This past week I let them ride to see how long it would take.

13.5 lb brisket, preheated the cabinet to 250, set the meat on the counter for three hours. Set at 225, until IT was 195. Total time 26 hours.

8.25 bone in pork shoulder, preheated the cabinet to 250, set the meat on the counter for two hours. Set at 225 until IT was 195. Gave up at 23 hours and pulled it; IT 192.

26 hours for the 13.5lb brisket and 23 hours for a 8.25 bone in pork shoulder. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for the replies. 

TedEbear

The rule of thumb is about 1.5-2 hours per lb.  The brisket fell within that range but the butt seems a bit high.  If the chamber temp was close to the setpoint of 225 there's not much else you can do if the probes are accurate (test in a container of boiling and ice water). 

You can wrap them in foil after the initial smoking part of the cook and speed it up a bit but each piece of meat has its own personality.  It's done when it's done.

watchdog56

Did you have the vent open or half closed? Half closed would keep the moisture in there which would keep temps on the cool side. I leave mine wide open all the time.

Roget

Seems a little high, especially on the butt.
All of my butts have fallen between 12 & 18 hours with most being about 15 hours.
I cook at 225F with the vent fully open. (8 - 8.5 lb. avg. butt)

Like TedEbear, I wonder if your probes are giving you accurate readings.

YCDBSOYA