I'm a bit afraid of this turkey

Started by Cndngrl, September 12, 2017, 04:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cndngrl

I've bought this 15lb turkey on sale a few weeks ago, and it's been sitting in the freezer since. Hubs now wants the freezer emptied to defrost, so I thought I'd smoke it. I'm still new to smoking. Had a few misses, but mostly everything has been a hit. But this turkey is freaking me out. Ive been researching how to smoke it for 2 days. And each search I do conflicts with the next. I've decided that my best plan of action is to ignore everything I've read, and just ask you guys. What are your recipes and go to's? How long to cook/smoke? Do I finish in the oven?
Any tips or hints you can pass on?

Smoke and Fire

The only Turkey I did was done as if to fry in oil . Put in smoker at 225 with 4 hrs apple and cook to recommend temp . Used crieo  butter injection it was very good skin was rubber like didn't keep .also watch water bowel as fat will fill it .used meat in soup and sandwiches. This was a 20 some lbs bird took all day.

Habanero Smoker

The 15 pounder should fit in the Bradley. When I smoke turkeys in the Bradley I use my vertical turkey roaster (stand) with a small pan under the turkey. You can also butterfly it (spatchcocked)  then halved the turkey, and place one half on each rack. This is one of the faster ways to smoke/roast it. The other way is to place the turkey vertically on the rack. This method is the slowest.

I cook at 225°F - 235°F, until it registers 165°F at the thickest part of the thigh.

If it is not already brined (injected or enhanced), you should brine it. I'll admit, I only purchase Butterball turkeys. They need no brining, and always come out moist. The below link may be helpful for brining. You may find that you will have to double this recipe. Note: I don't add the giblets to the brine.

How To Brine a Turkey

If you are butterflying the turkey, or smoking it vertically whole, you can also mix some herbs in soften butter, and rub the turkey down with it. Otherwise I just use a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cndngrl

Thanks guys. Will be giving it a try this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

KyNola

I would follow Hab's advice on your turkey.  His reply is spot on.

bhfrankel

That's how do mine.  Comes out great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cndngrl

I've got the turkey hanging out in the brine in the fridge. And I'm ready to rock this bird tomorrow. But here's a last minute question(s). I'm figuring 30-40min per pound, does that sound about right? Also I normally do poultry with Apple. But hubs wants to try it with cherry? Anyone done turkey with cherry? I've tended to stick to Apple for poultry because it gives it a nice flavor, and the one time I tried maple the kids thought the maple was too strong. Any and all thoughts and options appreciated.

cathouse willy

If your kids thought maple was too strong it's a safe bet that they'll find cherry even stronger. A 15 lb bird is not the best place to try a new smoke flavor.I'd stick with the apple.Just my 2 cents.

Habanero Smoker

I haven't smoked/slow roasted a turkey in the Bradley in a long time. I would say 30 - 40 minutes per pound is a good guesstimate. I cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F at the deepest part of the thigh.

A lot depends on the temperature of the turkey when it is placed in the smoker, so let it sit on the counter an hour or two prior to cooking. How fast your smoker can recover and get back to your desired cooking temperature, would be one of the main factors. If you spatchcocked the turkey, or cooking vertically, or horizontally, all require different cooking times. If cooking it horizontally, not trussing the turkey will allow more heat to enter the cavity, thus cooking faster.

After preheating the Bradley set the vent wide open; for at least half the cook time, then you can adjust later - if needed. If it is not cooking fast enough, you can transfer to the kitchen oven and finish cooking at around 350°F - 375°F. This will also crisp up the skin. If it is finished early, you can cover tightly with foil and hold in the smoker at 200°F, for up to an hour. Then transfer to a preheated 375°F oven, for about 40 minutes or until the skin is crisp. I always finish my smoked turkeys in an oven at around 350°F - 375°F to crisp up the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cndngrl

Here's my update. Followed Habs advice except I  ended up smoking with the cherry for 3 hrs instead of the 4 I planned on. Cook time worked out almost the way I thought. (Had to add an extra1/2hr). The bird was a hit. I got nothing but rave reviews from my family and the kids friends they had over for dinner. So thanks all for your advice. You guys are awesome.