Apple Pie

Started by brikel, November 01, 2017, 05:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brikel

I follow another group online and recently seen posts with people smoking apple pie.  Has anyone tried this in a Bradley Smoker.
Between the Smoker and the Maple syrup and the Bees I think I will have enough hobbies!!

zueth

Are these people doing the apple pie on a pellet pooper? If so those get a lot hotter than a Bradley and are more of a grill with smoke than a true smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchdog56

Never did apple pie before but I did try sliced apple pieces. NOT GOOD! had a bitter taste even using apple pucks.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: watchdog56 on January 01, 2018, 05:35:20 AM
Never did apple pie before but I did try sliced apple pieces. NOT GOOD! had a bitter taste even using apple pucks.

The apple pie was most likely baked in a pellet smoker. I don't think you could get a pie to bake at low and slow temps. The crust would most likely be soggy and uncooked. Pellet smokers produce a more "refined" or more of a gentle kiss of smoke and capable of reaching baking temps.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: zueth on December 30, 2017, 08:19:17 PM
Are these people doing the apple pie on a pellet pooper? If so those get a lot hotter than a Bradley and are more of a grill with smoke than a true smoker.

You can also bake in wood, charcoal, and gas cookers. As for the smoke flavor of pellet grills, many users state they get a smoke flavor from pellet grills, but I don't find that the case. My GMG Jim Bowie produces food that is similar to a gas grill, and I've tried most of the tricks that are used to produce more smoke flavor. With my GMG, I can set it as low as 150°F (which it usually will burn hotter) and I've had it as high as 500°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 01, 2018, 01:30:09 PM

You can also bake in wood, charcoal, and gas cookers. As for the smoke flavor of pellet grills, many users state they get a smoke flavor from pellet grills, but I don't find that the case. My GMG Jim Bowie produces food that is similar to a gas grill, and I've tried most of the tricks that are used to produce more smoke flavor. With my GMG, I can set it as low as 150°F (which it usually will burn hotter) and I've had it as high as 500°F.

I have a MAK pellet smoker and smoke mode is 170-185F, where I get a lot of smoke. If i want more of a smoke profile at a higher temp., I use my Amaz'n smoker tube. It works great.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on January 02, 2018, 07:15:55 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 01, 2018, 01:30:09 PM

I have a MAK pellet smoker and smoke mode is 170-185F, where I get a lot of smoke. If i want more of a smoke profile at a higher temp., I use my Amaz'n smoker tube. It works great.

I've tried all the tricks on mine, and it is still functions like a gas grill - barely any smoke flavor; if any. I do have a 12" Amaz'n smoker tube, which I will use in my gas and pellet grill. My GMG is a good/convenient grill, but if I want the smoke taste that I'm looking for, I'll use one of my charcoal cookers, or apply the smoke in the Bradley then transfer to the GMG. I've also tasted food "smoked" on Yoder's, Rec Tec's, and Cook Shack's - they just don't provide the flavor profile I'm looking for. So I guess it comes down to personal taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)