Pink Instacure

Started by gregholmlund, January 25, 2018, 06:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregholmlund

Hello all. Newbie here. I have a recipe that calls for Pink Instacure. I found 'PINK SALT' and was wondering if it was the same thing?

CoreyMac

Most recipes that need cure will say cure #1. Which is also known as pink salt. It can also be called prague powder #1   Instacure #1. Instacure is just a brand. The big thing is getting #1 not number #2.  The #2 is used mostly in dry curing.

Hope that helps
Corey

KyNola

It is most likely the same as Cure #1, Instacure, Prague Powder, etc are dyed pink so as not to be confused with table salt.  That said, there are also seasoning salts that are naturally pink such as Himalayan salt.  Look at the ingredients of your pink salt.  If it contains sodium nitrite it is a curing salt.  Don't confuse it with Cure #2 as Cure #2 is used for longer dry curing such as making a salami.

A word of caution when using a curing salt.  Do not exceed the amount of curing salt the recipe calls for.  If used excessively curing salt can make you sick.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Oops! Sorry, seems Corey hit the reply button just before me.

gregholmlund

Thanks for the quick replies. I love this site. So much information shared!

Habanero Smoker

You will need to read the ingredients listed on the label. There are gourmet salts out there that you can find in the supermarket called Pink Salt. These gourmet salts are not the same as Instacure #1.

For it to be Instacure #1 the two main ingredients will be salt and sodium nitrite. If you do not see sodium nitrite listed, then the pink salt you are referring to is just a seasoning salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gregholmlund

gregholmlund

After reading the label of the salt I purchased at Sam's, it contains no sodium nitrate, so I am assuming it is just a gourmet salt. I ordered and received a 8oz pack of #1 and will try my first attempt at beef sticks today.

Habanero Smoker

Let us know what recipe you use, and how they turn out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)