New 900 W element and now I need some PID help.

Started by lone369, August 09, 2017, 08:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lone369

I have a DBS and am installing a 900  element.  I here a lot of discussion  about the Auber PID for Bradley.  I have red that the Auber will not controlthe smoke generator of the DBS, so I really only need one to control the temperature and heating element.  Dos anyone have a reasonable suggestion other then the Auber?

Someone has suggested this.  It has a 1000 W load limit.  Am i pressing my luck with it?

https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-ITC-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B011296704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501927010&sr=8-1&keywords=inkbird+itc-308

cathouse willy

At only 1000 w you'll be too close to the max power of the controller IMHO. I'd want something that would handle at least 1200w.There are lots of diy pids on ebay if you're able to do some basic wiring. I replaced my kaput auber with a unit that cost me $40 cdn and is still working fine after three years. It doesn't have the three programmable steps for time and temp like the auber but I'm ok without them.

lone369

I bit the bullet  and followed the general consensus and bought the Auber single probe unit designed for the Bradley.  Hope to have it soon.  So I will power and control  the 900 w element with the Auber and use the DBS to run the smoke generator.  I am running to Home Depot to pick up some appliance grade wire.  I am sure it will work fine with the original wiring, but I am just not comfortable with it.

Cathouse Willy, I would not know how properly wire a PID.  The only guarantee would be that it wouldn't work. 

Gafala

Quote from: lone369 on August 10, 2017, 05:43:21 AM
I bit the bullet  and followed the general consensus and bought the Auber single probe unit designed for the Bradley.  Hope to have it soon.  So I will power and control  the 900 w element with the Auber and use the DBS to run the smoke generator.  I am running to Home Depot to pick up some appliance grade wire.  I am sure it will work fine with the original wiring, but I am just not comfortable with it.

Cathouse Willy, I would not know how properly wire a PID.  The only guarantee would be that it wouldn't work.

That is the setup I have here and I have not had any problems, I used the wire in the DBS didn't change that. been running for some time now.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

zueth

I used the original wire for 900 watt upgrade and no problems so far, I opted for the Auber WiFi

mybad