Bypass digital function to use with PID

Started by Caddeere, January 28, 2018, 06:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddeere

I did some looking and did not find any threads talking about modifying a digital smoker to bypass the digital functions and simply have it be on/off like a original smoker operates.  I have a Auber PID and would like to control the smoke option through the PID.  Also my buttons are acting up and can no longer adjust the smoker time anymore.  I was thinking simply bypass the digital keypad to a switch and was curious if anyone has done this already and can save me some development time.

Thanks,
Chad

rexster

Quite honestly, since the controller is not functioning properly, I would buy a plain jane smoker unit like  this one http://www.yardandpool.com/bradley-smoker-replacement-smoke-generator-black and use the Auber with it.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Habanero Smoker

Hi Caddeere;

Welcome to the forum.

You can either build your own, or purchase one.

DIY:
Cold Smoker Bypass Plug

Purchase:
By Pass Plug

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caddeere

Hi Haberno Smoker, I think what you provided is solution for cold smoking and bypassing so the primary heating element does not run.  Maybe I am not describing correctly but I want to put in a manual switch like the non digital smokers have and bypass all the digital controls.  Thus allowing me to plug the smoke generator power cord into the PID instead of independently into its own AC power source.  Therefore allowing the PID to control the smoke generator running or not running.   Maybe I just do not understand what the solutions you already provided will do fo me?  So basically the digital controls on my unit are not working correctly for me right now on smoke side and I do not use the digital control for the heating elements since I am running a Auber PID.  So like I said if I could just wire completely around the whole digital control panel and have a switch to just turn on the biscuit feeder and biscuit heater then I could have the PID control both the biscuit system and heating system.  Trying to replicate how a PID works on non digital units.  Sorry for the long winded explanation but I would be suprised if I am the first person to want to do this. 

Habanero Smoker

I was rushing when I replied. After rereading your first post it is clear in what you plan to do.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sam66

It is possible to bypass the digital controller but you would have to advance the pucks every 20 minutes; either by pressing a wired in button or by adding in your own timer circuit to do it automatically.

Easier just to buy a replacement controller board if everything else is working ok.

TwistedSanity

I have also wondered this with mine.  I was bummed to find out that the PID would not actually turn my smoke generator on and off as I thought it would. I have theorized a rough version potential solution to this. Tell me if it sounds legit or if I missing something.

So the PID has two plugs coming out of it. One for smoke and one for oven. The oven cords plugs into the back of the Oven and controls that directly. The smoke cord plugs into the back of the smoker control box and when the PID is set to apply smoke it only turns the power on to the smoke control box. This does not turn on the smoker function.  just supplies power to the whole back of the box. Once power is supplied I can hit the smoker power button at which time it starts the element and advances a single puck and starts the programming to run the advancer every 20 mins.

Here is my theory.  If I pull the circuit board out of the controller and jump a wire from the hot side of the power switch to the back side of the power switch, would this not in return start the whole thing up as soon as powered is supplied to the back of the control box? Through the PIDS programming it turns power onto the control box which automatically starts up the smoke generator heating plate and advancer programing.  When PID says to shut smoke off it kills power to box shutting everything else. The only extra step I should have to take is to place two pucks inside the cabinet on the ramp.

Let me know if you all think this is viable or not.  ps. I have never taken apart my smoke generator so I have no idea what is in there for wiring or circuit boards.

Sam66

QuoteIf I pull the circuit board out of the controller and jump a wire from the hot side of the power switch to the back side of the power switch

All the front panel switches are connected directly to the circuit board and through that to the main chip that controls things.  If you want to see what will happen if you jump the on/offswitch then just hold it in when you connect the power - keep holding it in and see if it works.  I don't think it will but my smoker isn't set up at the moment so I can't test it for you.

If you bypass the circuit board completely you won't have any timing for the puck advance - this may not be an issue if it advances one as soon as it is turned on and you can use the PID to turn it on and off every 20 minutes.

tbronder5

Quote from: Caddeere on January 28, 2018, 05:27:42 PM
Hi Haberno Smoker, I think what you provided is solution for cold smoking and bypassing so the primary heating element does not run.  Maybe I am not describing correctly but I want to put in a manual switch like the non digital smokers have and bypass all the digital controls.  Thus allowing me to plug the smoke generator power cord into the PID instead of independently into its own AC power source.  Therefore allowing the PID to control the smoke generator running or not running.   Maybe I just do not understand what the solutions you already provided will do fo me?  So basically the digital controls on my unit are not working correctly for me right now on smoke side and I do not use the digital control for the heating elements since I am running a Auber PID.  So like I said if I could just wire completely around the whole digital control panel and have a switch to just turn on the biscuit feeder and biscuit heater then I could have the PID control both the biscuit system and heating system.  Trying to replicate how a PID works on non digital units.  Sorry for the long winded explanation but I would be suprised if I am the first person to want to do this.
Hey buddy I ran into the opposite issue with my temp sensor going bad. Habanero sent me to auber and I have been thinking about a PID but never could justify it as my smoker was working fine. I spent the extra money on the dual probe and I could be wrong but it will also control the smoke portion on the generator to.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=380

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk