Cooking home cured bacon

Started by zueth, February 02, 2018, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I made some maple bacon and smoked/cooked in smoker until IT of 140. When cooking the bacon what have you found works best. I assume I can't use the normal temps and times that I use with store bought bacon. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

If it is a bacon with a lot of sugar, I either fry at a low  to medium flame, or bake it in an over at 350°F to the crispness I like.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

I put the bacon in a non pre-heated oven at set it to 350. Ended up cooking for 20 minutes. The bacon had great flavor the texture was just firmer that I am used to. I am use to cuting bacon with a fork but that was t happening. The sugars on outside got slightly burnt but not bad. How does the texture compare for others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Try checking the bacon at 15 minutes; or maybe at 10 minutes; depending on your desired doness.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

zueth

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 03, 2018, 01:44:59 PM
Try checking the bacon at 15 minutes; or maybe at 10 minutes; depending on your desired doness.

Its funny because after about 16 minutes I checked and asked my wife if it looked done or if I should go longer and she replied it should go longer.  I shouldn't of listened :)  seems it doesn't take as long since it was already brought up to IT of 140 previously.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: zueth on February 03, 2018, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 03, 2018, 01:44:59 PM

Its funny because after about 16 minutes I checked and asked my wife if it looked done or if I should go longer and she replied it should go longer.  I shouldn't of listened :)  seems it doesn't take as long since it was already brought up to IT of 140 previously.

You have to always listen to your wife! ;D ;D ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.