Trying to smoke my first whole chicken

Started by Edward176, May 01, 2018, 03:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward176

Hi all, looking for some advice and suggestions for smoking an entire free range chicken in the smoker. The chicken is 3.5 kg (7 lbs 11 oz) and I was planning to wash, pat dry, rub with Olive oil and my spices. Place in Bradley at say 220°F, with meat thermometer in the thigh, and smoke for 2-3 hours and then just cook to an IT of 165°F. Remove from smoker and into preheated oven of 450°F for 10 minutes to brown and crisp up the skin.
Other then that that's my plan, unless someone has another suggestion or advice? Any suggestion on wood type? I was thinking Special Blend or Apple?
Always looking for guidance from someone more experienced.

Thanks
Ed 

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Wow! That's a large roasting chicken.

If it has not already been injected (enhanced/brined), you may want to think about doing that. It's been a while since I've fully smoke/roasted a chicken in the Bradley, but when I did I would get the cabinet temperature up to 225° - 250°F. I like using pecan, or apple, or maple - in that order of preference; but apple is a very good choice. When I would crisp the skin of a fully cooked chicken I would use a oven temp of 400°F, and monitor it closely. At 450°F, I would always end up burning the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Well, made that chicken today for supper, took  4+ hours at 260°F and then 10 minutes in the oven at 400°F. Actually I brined it first for a few hours and to be honest it was the best tasting chicken that I ever had, bar none! Only problem now is my wife says I have to cook all my chickens this way as she loved it very much. So a BIG THANK YOU to you guys for your help and suggestions ;)

zueth

Nice. Any pictures of chicken?

Smoked chicken is so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

This makes me want to smoke a whole chicken in the Bradley, again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roget

I quit smoking chicken in the Bradley because I couldn't get the skin the way I like it.
Maybe time to try again using these tips.  :) :)
YCDBSOYA

Edward176

LOL, it was eaten so fast, but if necessary I could take a picture of the bones and carcass?  :)

marco381

I'm now craving for smoked chicken. Finally getting some nice weather up here in western New York. Smoker coming out this weekend!

Edward176

marco381, thanks for your post. I see that this is your very first post? Welcome aboard. I've my smoker in the garage and venting out through the man door. Its so nice now, no wind and no rain. I wonder why I hadn't tried this before.
Maybe one day when I figure how to send photo's to this sight I might try it again.