Brine for Chicken

Started by REMMER1551, September 08, 2018, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMMER1551

Hi all,

Tried whole chicken tonight and did a rub because did not have a lot of time.  But thought an overnight brine would be good so I thought I would ask and see what people would suggest for a good chicken brine.

Thanks,

Robert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BC Smoker

I've used this recipe a number of times and it goes without saying, it works well with turkey or chix. Just remember to scale it down to your needs. Enjoy 
Brining solution:

The ratio is 1 cup kosher salt to 1 gallon water. If you use another salt then use less (3/4 cup of sea salt or table salt) because kosher salt weighs less by volume than other salt because of the shape of the salt.

Makes 1 gallon
*       1 cup kosher salt
*       1/2 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
*       Small handful of aromatics (garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, whole peppercorns, bay leaves, lemon or orange zest removed in strips)
* brine for 5-6 hours

â€¢Makes 1 gallon
Combine salt, sugar, aromatics and 1/2 gallon (8 cups) of water in a large pot and place over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in remaining 1/2 gallon water (or water and ice) and cool completely.

Pour brine into a container just large enough to hold the turkey or chicken comfortably. (A 4- or 5-gallon vessel should be good for a 10- to 12-pound turkey.) Add turkey/chicken; add a little more water or ice to submerge it if necessary. Turn bird a few times and then leave breast-side down in the water; place a heavy plate over the poultry if it floats. Chill 5 to 6 hours. Remove bird from brine, discard brine and roast as directed.

REMMER1551

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edward176

Thanks BC Smoker, your brine sounds interesting. I think I'll try it this week as well.