Newbie BBQ Tom

Started by BBQ Tom, July 21, 2018, 08:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQ Tom

I've been snooping around the site for some time now. This site seems to be one of the best Smoking sites I have been on, very informative and kinda " family"  oriented. I've been in the low and slow world for a good while, 10-12 years. I just purchased my Realtree OBS back in December and have had several cooks on it. This is truly a "LOW and SLOW" cooker. I'm not complaining though, because I got it to do cheese and fish mostly. I have impressed several people with a few dishes from it. I'm looking forward to interacting with you folks and learning the ins and outs of this OBS.
  MY COOKERS
    Bradley OBS
    Treager
     UDS
     Kamado
     Homemade
     Weber Kettle

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Edward176

Welcome to the Forum BBQ Tom, lots of knowledge here and many people willing to help you out with any issue. Enjoy!!

Habanero Smoker

Hi BBQ Bob;

Welcome!

Nice collection of cookers. I'm curious as to what the homemade cooker is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BBQ Tom

It's a "Rat Rod" "Tailgate" special, made it out off an old beer keg. Charcoal and stick burner. Good for small stuff, chicken pieces, one butt, burgers, etc... Fire basket holds about 5 lbs of charcoal, good for about 4-5 hours if you stay with it. Lots of temp swings very little insulation properties. On butts I usually smoke them about 4 hours and move to oven to finish it off.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Quite a unique cooker. I've never seen anything like it before.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RobsTroowers

I am glad to see you here. I am so happy that you enjoy our atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help you if you need it, so don't hesitate to ask everything you need on this forum. When I first stepped into this community, I was pleased to realize how many people could help me with my cooking issues. I also have found a lot of exciting brands recommended here, from which I shop until now; https://www.bigwigjerky.com.au/australian-bbq-thermometer/ is one of the best I found here. I hope you will be an active member as we all need some help sometimes, and you will be happy to tell others about all of your experiences related to the forum's subject.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

TedEbear

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on January 07, 2022, 08:42:43 PM
Quote from: Smoker John on January 06, 2022, 11:04:38 AM
Welcome BBQ Tom

I think he joined over 3.5 years ago.   :)

He is still at one post; so a welcome is still appropriate.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2022, 03:19:26 AM
Quote from: TedEbear on January 07, 2022, 08:42:43 PM
Quote from: Smoker John on January 06, 2022, 11:04:38 AM
Welcome BBQ Tom

I think he joined over 3.5 years ago.   :)

He is still at one post; so a welcome is still appropriate.  :)

Although I don't know if he will ever read it. He hasn't been on the board in over a year.

Smoker John

Ha I guess I should look at the post dates when replying :D
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smoker John on January 10, 2022, 10:11:32 AM
Ha I guess I should look at the post dates when replying :D

It's the thought that counts.  8)

I don't see any issue about replying to old posts. People don't always sign in to read the forum, and who knows; this member may have setup to receive a notice when someone replies.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RobsTroowers

I also have a traeger grill. Traeger grills also maintain consistent temperatures and circulate smoke and heat evenly to give you perfect results every time you cook. All Traeger's feature patented craftsmanship, premium materials, and industry-leading technology and it's super enjoyable to cook on them. The only thing is, you still need an amazon meat thermometer if you plan to cook meat on it. Because meat requires perfect timing at a particular temperature, it is very easy to undercook or overcook.