Quick question, smoked wings

Started by DasBoot, July 28, 2018, 02:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DasBoot

I'm having guests over tomorrow and would like to do smoked wings, as well as ribs.  Do you guys think it would be ok to smoke the wings when I smoke the ribs, then just hold them FTC until just before time to eat, then throw them on the grill and then sauce them?  I'm doing baby back, so, 2-2-1 on  time. 

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DasBoot

Quote from: GusRobin on July 28, 2018, 05:13:50 PM
put the wings below the ribs

Are you suggesting keeping them in the smoker for the complete 5 hours?

Habanero Smoker

I believe I understand what you want to do. You want to put the wings in at the beginning while you are applying smoke to the ribs. Then pull them out and hold them until the ribs are ready to serve. If so you are looking at a minimum of three hours for holding the wings. The precaution you will have to take is to make sure the wings stay 140°F, or above. I'm not sure if FTC will keep them that hot for that long. You can give it a try, but monitor the temperature in the cooler.

One trick I've learned which is similar to FTC, is to use the kitchen oven as a food warmer. Preheat the kitchen oven to 250°F, put your wings in a pan and tightly foil, put them in the oven then turn it off, and keep the door closed until you want to grill the wings. That should keep the wings at a safe temperature for those three hours. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DasBoot

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 29, 2018, 01:41:06 AM
I believe I understand what you want to do. You want to put the wings in at the beginning while you are applying smoke to the ribs. Then pull them out and hold them until the ribs are ready to serve. If so you are looking at a minimum of three hours for holding the wings. The precaution you will have to take is to make sure the wings stay 140°F, or above. I'm not sure if FTC will keep them that hot for that long. You can give it a try, but monitor the temperature in the cooler.

One trick I've learned which is similar to FTC, is to use the kitchen oven as a food warmer. Preheat the kitchen oven to 250°F, put your wings in a pan and tightly foil, put them in the oven then turn it off, and keep the door closed until you want to grill the wings. That should keep the wings at a safe temperature for those three hours.

Yeah, that was my question.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll do it that way.