citric acid and ascorbic????

Started by AustinMc, March 15, 2018, 11:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinMc

hello all.....just being a newbie here, and giving snack sticks and summer sausage a go.......just a quick question.........can you substitute ascorbic acid for citric acid???? And do you use the same amounts of measurements if you can.......thanks....any replys would be appreciated

Habanero Smoker

Though they are technically the same, you don't want to add either citric acid or ascorbic acid directly into your sausage. Adding either directly will cause the meat to become "mushy", and the meat will not bind. The best way to get that tangy flavor is to use encapsulated citric acid. The capsules break down at 150°F, then release the acid. You can purchase them from most places that sell sausage making supplies.  If you have fermento, that is another way to add a tangy taste to your sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

AustinMc

thank you.....really appreciated.......have not started it yet, but was getting ready....thanks again. what would it be like if I just left it out??

Habanero Smoker

It will be good, it just won't have that slight tanginess that a slim jims has.

Fermento is just powdered buttermilk. Most grocery stores carry it in the aisle they sell spices, cake mixes etc. The common amount is to add 1/2 ounce of powdered buttermilk (or Fermento) per 1 pound of meat. That should give you some tang. If you want more tang you can add up to 1 ounce per pound of meat, but don't go beyond that amount. Adding more than that will give the sticks an off taste, and the meat will be mushy.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TwistedSanity

It is not something I use in the sticks I make.