Recipe Discussions > Rubs and Sauces

Smokeing a ham this weekend, need to find a rub recipe

(1/3) > >>

_Bear_:
My computer crashed and I lost all my recipe's. I am going to smoke a mustard slathered ham this weekend and I can't remember the recipe for my rub or what IT I need to pull it at (I think 140*). I have probably done 10 of these hams and they have all turned out great, but I haven't done one for a few years.

Habanero Smoker:
The 140°F is the correct temperature for reheating a cured fully cooked ham. I've never applied a rub to my cured hams so I can't help you with a rub. I do apply a maple mustard glaze, but when I apply the glaze I finish it in the kitchen oven.

Glaze Ingredients:  adapted from Cook's Illustrated for the Bradley Smoker.
3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or 1 cup if you are not using the Maple sugar
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

Salmonsmoker:
You can also do cross hatch shallow cuts on the top and sides about 1-1/2" apart and poke a whole clove in each one of the squares, then remove for serving.

_Bear_:

--- Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 31, 2018, 01:26:48 am ---The 140°F is the correct temperature for reheating a cured fully cooked ham. I've never applied a rub to my cured hams so I can't help you with a rub. I do apply a maple mustard glaze, but when I apply the glaze I finish it in the kitchen oven.

Glaze Ingredients:  adapted from Cook's Illustrated for the Bradley Smoker.
3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or 1 cup if you are not using the Maple sugar
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

--- End quote ---
Thanks Hab. I have always put straight mustard on and then applied a brown sugar based rub and then usually about 4 hrs in the smoker. That recipe sounds really good. I wonder how it would work applying it and then into the smoker. I am going to try this and I will post up how it works out

Habanero Smoker:
The glaze probably wouldn't work in a smoker. The glaze needs high heat to caramelize. At lower temperatures it may not adhere and just flow off the ham.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version