adapting my bradley smoker with another heating element

Started by coachted, December 18, 2018, 01:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachted

I have had my bradley smoker less than 6 months and have had a couple of problems...
1. They had to send me a new thermostat
2. The temperature takes for ever to raise once I add my meat....yes i let the meat get to room temperature before I place it in the smoker.

After researching I have seen that people have added a second heating element to their smokers...

SO I am wondering if anyone has ever added a stronger heating element or an additional heating element? If so would you mind sharing exactly, step by step, how you did it as I am not the most mechanically inclined person.

In addition is there a better thermostat I could buy and replace the one that comes with the bradley smoker?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Orion

The thread I have attached will detail the installation of a second 500 watt element which will resolve your heating troubles. Feel free to ask any questions about the install.

As far as a replacement thermostat; I think you should consider installing a PID. There are numerous threads on that although I think someone that runs one will chime in to give you some advise. I don't run one.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=36796.0
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

zueth

I replaced stock 500 watt with 900 finned heating element and at same time setup a Auber PID. Best move I ever made.  It was all very easy to do, just followed some threads from past on here, just use the search. I can take some pictures of my setup if you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manfromplaid

I also added the second 500 element and use an auber 1200 pid. heat recovers fast if I open the door or do my preheat. not to hard to do the add on or there a number of higher watt finned element options to look at also. search on the site and you will find the info on how to install or where to purchase.  good luck

TwistedSanity

I am one of the people that added a second 500 watt element.  I found this extremely simple to do. Hardest part was to order the high temp resistant wire.  I had to order this online.

Very happy with the end result