smoker shorting out when it trys to heat

Started by leach.r.83, January 16, 2019, 03:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leach.r.83

Hi,

I have a bradley digital smoker that is shorting out.

When cold smoking we're A ok nothing bad happens

When the control unit trys to turn the heating eliment on the smoker trips the house fuse instantly.

If i take the power cord and plug the 'oven/heater' in directly the element heats up quite nicely, no shorts or anything.

The temp gauge works well as does the smoke generator.

Anyone got any ideas about whats causing the digital unit to short out?

thanks
Rob

watchdog56

Did you check the fuse on the back of the smoke generator?

leach.r.83

no i didnt, i thought if the smoke generator was turning and functioning ok independently of the oven then the fuse should be intact....

i will take a look tonight!

thank you!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Rob;

Welcome to the forum? A little more information would be helpful.

Are you plugging the generator into a GFCI outlet?
Is the house circuit blowing or are you resetting the GFCI at the outlet?
Have you use this smoker on that outlet in the past, and has it performed properly?

If you are plugging into a GFCI outlet, use an extension cord and plug the generator into a outlet that is not GFCI, then test the smoker to see if it runs properly. If it still trips the circuit something in the generator may be causing the GFCI to trip, or you may need to replace that GFCI.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

leach.r.83

hello!

thanks for the welcome, I've spent an age reading stuff on here, i have had the smoker for a long time!

I'm UK based, the fuse board initially went so after resetting and trying the oven by itself on a unprotected outlet and that worked ok and didnt flip the house fuse.

I did try then experimenting with the digital smoker, plugging it into a RCD plug (i guess this is simular to the GFCI) and it worked ok until it tried to turn the oven on, at that point it flipped the RCD. i then rest tried blowing out the box with the compressor to move any gunk out but same thing.

I have used the smoker on the outlet before with no problems, i also use the same outlet for different devices

I did try running a power cord from another socket and the smoker behaved in the same way!

I'm still yet to check the fuse.....

Habanero Smoker

From what I can find out the RCD works the same as a GFCI. Something within your generator is causing the RCD to trip. If I recall correctly a few member narrowed it down to a problem with the bisquette burner. For customer support you can contact fill out a ticket support at the below link. I couldn't find a phone number for support for members who live in the UK

Grakka Limited

You can also do a search on this forum using GFCI. The best way to search the forum is through Google. Go to Google and type in the below phrase.

GFCI site:forum.bradleysmoker.com
or
GFC site:forum.bradleysmoker.com

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)