Element

Started by Gebs27, January 21, 2019, 08:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gebs27

Anyone have trouble in the cold.
It's -20 c here today.

Anyways, I was smoking some pepperoni sticks today and I went to turn down the heat. And the element completely quit and I can't get it working.

I unplugged it etc. how do I know if it's the element or something else.

I have had issues with the element turning on in the past. But today it just won't work anymore.

Let me know please.

Habanero Smoker

First the model would be helpful, and whether of not the generator is fully working. If not check the 10amp fuse in the generator.

Based on the problems you had with the element prior to it giving out, I would suspect a loose wire somewhere. Have you plugged the cabinet directly into a wall socket to see if the element is working? To do this you will need to use a desktop computer power cord (NEMA5-15P to C13 ) to plug the cabinet into the wall. If the elements get hot and glows red, then the problem is in your generator. Possibly a loose wire in the generator.

If it doesn't glow or get hot, then the problem could be a loose wire in the cabinet, the element itself, the inline fuse, or the temperature sensor. To check the element you will need a multimeter, remove a wire at one end and test the OHMs, you should get a reading of 27 - 31 OHMs, if not you element is bad, and needs to be replace. Be careful, the nuts that attach the wires are very small, and easy to loose, especially if you are working outdoors in such cold weather. You should bring the smoker into a heated area.

If you get a correct OHM reading, then it may be a loose wire, the inline fuse, and/or sensor; which you would need to remove the back of the cabinet. First check the wiring at the plug insert to make sure all those wires are connected, and secured. Next use the multimeter to test for continuity of the inline fuse, and the sensor.  If you continuity is bad for the inline fuse or sensor they would need to be replaced. When putting the cabinet back on, be careful not to overtighten  the screws; they easily strip the sheet metal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RedJada

Not to hijack, but I did notice my element last time I used my OBS that the element was dark on both ends about 1.5" and the middle that was glowing didn't seem as bright. So, will the element still put out heat if under the 27 - 31 OHMs? Been running this for about 6-7 years.

Habanero Smoker

My elements are also dark on each end around the same length as your. It's been that way since it was new, and also after installing two new elements when I did my upgrade. Your OHM reading should be 27 - 31, until it stops working and should produce the same amount of wattage until it "blows". It is very similar to an incandescent light bulb, that gives full power until it blows out. Inside the element casing there is a coiled piece of wire that runs from one end to the other, similar to the filament in a light bulb, but much thicker.

So I don't believe there is a gradual loss of power. If it isn't glowing as bright, it may be caused by other factors, such as additional appliance(s) on that same circuit, or maybe a problem with the temperature adjustment circuit, or a loose wire on one of the ends of the element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gebs27

took the back off, wasnt expecting this...

is this smoke or burnt wires, im no electrician...

things not even a year old

Habanero Smoker

A picture of the entire back would also have been useful.

The dark area going horizontal is normal, and will "worsen" over time. That is directly behind the element. When it further melts away, you will see that Bradley has some other type of insulation directly behind the element, it may be mineral wool insulation. The dark circular areas on each end are also normal, eventually the dark horizontal area will be almost completely the whole width, but not much wider. At least that is what has occurred with both of mine. The darkened area going vertical is somewhat of a mystery. My wiring runs a little differently, and none of my wires run vertically in that way. It just may be the heat following the easiest path to escape.

Your wiring looks good. On the inside of the back cover, is there any discoloration that may indicate that is from smoke escaping the cabinet and following that crevis?

Is there any indication of damage to the insulation of the wire that goes into that crevis?

What model do you have?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gebs27

I have a 4 rack original not digital.

The vertical line in pic. The styrofoam insulation is cracked and melted up the middle.

I opened the generator everything seems fine. Fuse 10a fuse is fine. Obviously the biscuit burner works it's just the element.

The white power box inside the generator has a red light flashing. What does that mean?

I don't know what do think...

Does this product have warranty even.

Habanero Smoker

All the decolorization and melting is usual. I'm not sure what that blinking light is. I take it that you don't have a multi-meter to test the OHM's. Where you able to plug the cabinet directly into a wall socket?

You do have a one year warranty. If the warranty is up, you can still call for tech support.

Bradley customer service lines are open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.
For customer support, please have your serial number ready.
Customer Service Toll Free:
(866) 508-7514

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gebs27

Thank for all the help.

Well, I think it's something to do in the generator.

I brought home a multimeter from work. Tossed in on the old element I replaced showed a reading of 39-50. Now I tried it on the prongs on the plug to the plug and the same reading. So now I know that the current is traveling right through the element etc perfectly fine. I wish I would of done this prior to taking it apart.

I opened up the generator to take a look inside. No idea how to utilize the multimeter from here on in. But what I did notice is the turning knob for the element is loose. Maybe there is a loose connection inside of the knob?? It still seems to work switching on off with the way it clicks. But maybe something got messed up there.

It's less than a year old. I wonder how you go about warranty on this.  I bought it at cabelas. Will they give me a new one or Bradley. What a pain in the asssssss!

Habanero Smoker

Your OHM reading seems off. When you tested the element did you disconnect one of the wires going to the element. If you didn't disconnect one of the wires you are just by passing the element. To be more accurate, you should disconnect both ends. To test whether the current is flowing, you should test the continuity and not the OHM's.

I've never returned anything to Cabela's so I'm not sure how their return policy is. Bradley has great customer service and will work with you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.