2nd element installation questions

Started by solcany, May 04, 2019, 08:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solcany

Hi, I have a digital 6 rack OBS and live in frigid Edmonton.  I have the following questions for adding a 2nd of the same original element and I need help with.  Thanks in advance:
1)  What is the original gauge of wires attached to the original element, coming in from the back of the unit?
2)  Are the ceramic mounts used on the original element available for purchase?
3   Is the protective wire shield, as on original element, available for purchase?
4)  What method of insulating the termination points at the ends of the new element is used?
5)  I understand the relay for the heating element control is rated at 10 Amps, is that confirmed?
6)  The metal clamp I have seen on other images, that holds the the element firm, actually bonds the element to ground, so if the element becomes live due to an internal heating wire contacting the inside of the element tube, the breaker should trip, can someone please confirm?
7)  The insulation needed on the connector ends of the new elements, what have people used?  My thoughts are hi temp spark plug boots fitting over the ends and wiring put through the boot, any suggestions?

Thanks again, solcany

Orion

Typing from my phone so can't link the thread and this will be a short reply. Go to the Digital Bradley Smoker section of this forum and find the thread entitled "2nd Element, Fan and Burner Mod".
e
It should answer your questions. The addition of a second original element is really simple. People have a tendency to overthink it and make it complicated . I see no need to insulate the terminals or add duplicate ceramic blocks. Did mine years ago as the thread describes and have never had an issue.

2 elements is a huge improvement in heat performance .
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.