Can you Par Smoke a brisket?

Started by dogger2k4, May 06, 2019, 05:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogger2k4

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with par smoking a brisket, like getting it up to the stall, and then finishing it the next day?

Habanero Smoker

Hi dogger2k4;

Welcome to the forum. Can you explain why you want to do it that way? Are you concerned about leaving the Bradley unattended for an overnight cook, or is it a matter of you schedule?

Though it could be done, I've never tried it. I'm not sure how the final texture would be, and/or if the texture would be the same from the outer areas to the interior. One member posted a two-stage cook, but he cold smoke for about 4 hours, the finished in the oven the following day Two Stage Brisket.

The difficulty I can see with what you want to do is how are you going to store it in-between cooks. I would think you will need a way to cool that brisket down below 40°F, within a couple of hours, and store it in the refrigerator. Once I smoked a turkey, wrapped it in foil and after letting it cool down on the counter for a hour, I wrapped it and put it in the refrigerators. The next morning the internal temperature was at 45°F. Needless to say I tossed it. The next time I was better prepared. I had two 5 lb. bags of ice and a cooler ready. I wrapped the turkey in plastic wrap, and foil, left the ice in the bag. Place one bag at the bottom of the cooler, then the turkey, then the other bag of ice. That cooled the turkey down pretty fast. Just monitor it to make sure the meat doesn't sit in a pool of water.

There are other options you may want to consider. When you brisket hits around 160°F, wrap it in foil or uncoated butcher's paper. This help power the brisket through the stall, and you will save a lot of cook time. Or after applying the smoke, move it to your kitchen oven and finish cooking it there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dogger2k4

Hi Hab,

I was wanting to par smoke it mostly due to my schedule and I didn't want to leave it unattended for a long period of time. I work at a golf course and we just got a bradley smoker for specials.

Thanks for the help. I will look into that.

Habanero Smoker

Pulled pork is easy to reheat; especially if you have a crock pot. If the golf course will allow it, you could take the Bradley home and fully cook the butt. Or start it at the golf course, wrap it in foil, then a towel and place it in a cooler so you can take it home; then place it in your oven to finish. If you bring the Bradley home, you could start early in the morning, after applying the smoke or waiting for it to hit 160°F, you can foil and finish it in your kitchen oven at 250°F - 300°F. I know that sounds hot, but it will work. When it cool enough, pull it and store it in a refrigerator. You can then reheat it at the golf course.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Orion

Tell the golf course manager that Bradley Smoked Pulled Pork is special and will require him/her to sign off on overtime, scheduling changes and anything else you need to get it done onsite in one go. If they want the best it's going to cost them.🤣
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.