Won't go to temp

Started by pllankford, May 24, 2019, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pllankford

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Smoker won't go over 120 degs. Have installed a new element. Smoker is used only occasionally, when new (only a few years) it worked ok. Read continuity thru the element, but not sure what the resistance should be. Any help will be appreciated.

Pat

Habanero Smoker

Hi Pat;

Welcome to the forum. The resistance should read between 27 - 32 ohms. When checking the element for ohms, you should unhook the wiring at both ends, or at least one end.

To trouble shoot, first plug the cabinet directly into a socket; to do this you need to use a desktop computer cord. If it glows the problem may be the generator, or you jumper cord that connects the power from the generator may not be fully plugged in or bad. Unplug and plug in that cord several time on both ends, to make sure you have a good connection, and check the receptacles for any debris or corrosion. If that doesn't work open the generator and check for any loose wires, especially around the power source.

If you element doesn't light up when you plug it directly into an outlet, the cause is most likely a blown in-line fuse. You will need to remove the back of the oven to get to that fuse. Do a continuity test on that fuse. If you have a break in the circuit you will need to replace it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pllankford

Thanks for the info. I try these steps next.

Pat

Jtcbradig6

I have a brand new digital 6 rack smoker.  Seasoned it and now I can't get the temperature above 125 degrees F.  I have looked through the troubleshooting guide and everything seems in order.  Any suggestions?

Orion

I'm assuming your smoker is empty and you're just trying to get it preheated to begin smoking.
I know you went through the troubleshooting but I will ask a few questions...
Did it come up to higher temperatures previously during seasoning?
Have you checked that both the element and the pick burner are getting hot? I'd turn them
Both on and check both in 10 minutes. Hopefully both are working.
Have you remade all connections at back of unit?
Some suggest not to use an extension cord although I don't follow that thought as I use one all the time with no trouble.

Is your temperature sensor on the inner back wall clean? Sorry you're having grief. If you offer a little more info as to exactly what you've turned on ( burner, element, both?) and what you've set temp at maybe we can get a better idea what's going on. Is there any product in the smoker?

Double check all the plug connections and confirm your power source. Let us know what you find,
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jtcbradig6;

In addition to the information Orion provided, when temperatures do not get above 140°F in an empty cabinet, it is usually only the bisquette burner working and the heating element is not. You may have already done this, but it is worth another try. If you have a desktop computer power cord (NEMA5-15P to C13 ), plug that into the back of the cabinet, and the other end into a wall socket. If the element heats up, then the problem is either the short electrical power cord that connects the generator to cabinet, or the socket on the generator. Make sure the plug is well seated and don't leave this plugged in more than 20 minutes.

Next use the short power cord to connect the cabinet to the generator. Unplug and plug the short electrical power cord that connects the AC power from the generator to the smoker cabinet, several times. With a new smoker it sometimes takes many attempts to get the power cord seated properly. Also check the prongs to make sure none of them are missing, and check the sockets on both the cabinet and generator to make sure there is no objects that may prevent the plug from making full contact. If you have a multimeter, check the continuity of each wire on the short power cord.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)