Variety of flavors including Habanero Cold Smoked Bacon

Started by John_D, June 24, 2019, 10:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_D

I just recently ventured into making my own Canadian bacon, but was tired of the run of the mill flavor. i decided that I wanted something that said "Original & Different " So I have played with sveral flavors and to date have made the following : Jalapeno & lime , Pure Maple Syrup with crushed black peppercorns , Habanero , Southern Style , crushed coffee , and finally Dill Pickle. 

Everyone without exception who has tried a sample of the various flavors claimed them to be a success. I am reluctant to try the tests runs before I get feedback as I never want to give a biased opinion and feel that I get proper feedback this way without my pre-conceived taste having weight on their thoughts. All of these have been started using dry cure method. I finally broke down after getting rave reviews on the Habanero and tried it myself. I tried it on a toasted bagel with a slice of cheese and two slices of bacon. I have to admit they where correct , it was sensational! It wasn't overwhelming but the heat was nice and left a tingle on my lips as a reminder of what I had just ate.

All of these , with the exception of the Habanero had been cold smoked using Applewood, the Habanero I used a Mesquite . To date : 20lbs of each have been ordered by friends and family with repeat requests on hand. Sadly I don't have any on-line storage accts for pics.

Habanero Smoker

All those flavors sound good. I was in St. Leonard, Montreal on June 16th, and happened to visit a butcher shop. I was just overwhelmed by the choices of meats and the great prices, especially the pork bellies. It's about a 5 hour drive for me; and I didn't have a cooler, so I didn't purchase meat to take home. Next time I'm packing a cooler.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

John_D

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 25, 2019, 02:48:48 AM
All those flavors sound good. I was in St. Leonard, Montreal on June 16th, and happened to visit a butcher shop. I was just overwhelmed by the choices of meats and the great prices, especially the pork bellies. It's about a 5 hour drive for me; and I didn't have a cooler, so I didn't purchase meat to take home. Next time I'm packing a cooler.  :)
[/quote

Any problems going back through customs with meat?

Habanero Smoker

I googled that when I got back home. I know pork and poultry for personal consumption are ok, as long as the label proves it is a product of Canada. For some reason beef is treated differently. I need to find out how much I can bring without paying a tax.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

_Bear_

It will probably be cheaper here real quick. China stopped importing all Canadian meat products today
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Habanero Smoker

Dang!!!!

I'm heading for Saratoga Springs this weekend, I might just keep heading north.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

John_D

Quote from: _Bear_ on June 25, 2019, 08:21:59 PM
It will probably be cheaper here real quick. China stopped importing all Canadian meat products today

One good thing about that, is that if beef prices go down all the others, chicken pork,etc might go down as well.

_Bear_

I do about 15+ pork loins a year into back bacon, usually maple and by the request of friends and family. Dry cure for 6 days, then maple syrup for another 18 days, then soak for a couple of hrs to desalt, and into the Bradley to 140* IT. I started playing around last year and did a few in maple/cracked pepper and it was really good. Would be interested in trying a habanero bacon if you would be so kind as to post up a recipe....unless it is a family secret of course
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

John_D

No problem with sharing it at all. I pick up the rub from Bulk barn, it is a Habanero chilli powder rub. I start it off by adding onion, curshed garlic, and chilli flakes during cure then finish it by adding rub after rinsing it off and placing in fridge for 48hrs before smoking.

Doug in Alaska

Quote from: _Bear_ on June 26, 2019, 02:40:27 PM
I do about 15+ pork loins a year into back bacon, usually maple and by the request of friends and family. Dry cure for 6 days, then maple syrup for another 18 days, then soak for a couple of hrs to desalt, and into the Bradley to 140* IT. I started playing around last year and did a few in maple/cracked pepper and it was really good. Would be interested in trying a habanero bacon if you would be so kind as to post up a recipe....unless it is a family secret of course

Do you mind posting your recipe along with smoking directions?  Sounds wonderful!