Which thermometer?

Started by JeanetteG, June 28, 2019, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanetteG

Which one do you use?
Bluetooth or no?
I've been using an instant read and a separate oven thermometer but would like one with multiple probes. Suggestions without breaking the bank for this occasional smoking enthusiast.

Elfremi

I'm currently using a dual probe with remote from ThermoPro similar to the one available through this link: ThermoPro TP-08S.

It's not Bluetooth, but it's decent and reasonably priced.
Enjoy your next cook!

Habanero Smoker

You should avoid Bluetooth, and look for ones that uses radio signals at 2.4 Ghz. Bluetooth has a low range, and it may not pick up a signal if you are more than 30 feet away if there are any obstacles in the way.

If multiple probes you mean two probes. You may want to take a look at the Thermoworks Smoke. I like gadgets, and just recently purchased the Thermoworks Signal. So I've been thinking of selling my Smoke with the Wi-Fi gateway, if someone that live in the States. I'll send you a PM.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: JeanetteG on June 28, 2019, 08:29:29 AM
Which one do you use?
Bluetooth or no?
I've been using an instant read and a separate oven thermometer but would like one with multiple probes. Suggestions without breaking the bank for this occasional smoking enthusiast.

I have a Thermoworks Smoke and I like it a lot.  It wasn't the cheapest of several options but I believe I caught it on sale a few years ago.

Edward176

Hi JeanetteG, I've been using a dual probe ThermPro now for a couple of years and love it. I smoke in the garage (attached to the front of the house) and can sit outside in the back yard and monitor the thermometer (150 feet away). It wasn't overly pricey, but a good thermometer.

dubob

Quote from: JeanetteG on June 28, 2019, 08:29:29 AM
Which one do you use?
Bluetooth or no?
I bought this in April and it has worked flawlessly on at least a dozen cooks since then.  It comes with 4 probes (3 meat & 1 appliance).  Alarms for temps and time.  I give it 5-stars.  Here's a link to it:

Inkbird IRF-4S Wireless Remote Meat Thermometer for Smoker, 1500ft Waterproof Digital Cooking Food Oven Grill Thermometer with Timer, Alarm, Rechargeable Battery, 4 Probes for BBQ Thermometer
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

waynerto

I would prefer something that is wifi so that you can keep an eye on things even if you are not very close to the unit.  Anyone have any experience with something like the Thermoworks Signals?

Habanero Smoker

Hi waynerto;

I have the Signals, and love it. It is simple to use, and the wi-fi hookup is very simple, you just need to make sure your wi-fi is broadcasting at 2.4ghz. Once you get connected to your network, you are then connected to ThermoWorks cloud. That give you the ability to monitor your cook anywhere in the world as long as you have a wi-fi connection.

They are frequently updating their firmware, and updating that is very simple. If you have a charcoal burner, they have come out with a fan that will control many types of charcoal burners. A few days ago they released a new app. I haven't had a chance to check out the new app, but the graphic interface have been revamped. That app gives you the ability to change your settings, and graphs your entire cook - one graph for each probe. Since it takes the pro-series probes, you have a variety of choices. It a great thermometer for either outdoors or in your kitchen. I highly recommend it. Right now ThermoWorks has a 20% discount.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

CoreyMac

Thermo pro here, I love it, gets great reception, dual probes. Plus there is a company that makes an excellent case for it also. It's all on amazon. Liked it so much I bought 2, one for the pellet grill and one for the Bradley.

Corey

waynerto

Thanks folks.  I assume that you can thread the wires through the top vent of the Bradley smoker?  I have the four shelf digital smoker.  I have a Meater thermometer, which is great in that it has no wires, but the one that I have is only Bluetooth so the range is limited.  But it is great for rotisseries and other purposes.

While we are speaking about Wifi - are there any Bradley Smoke Generators that have Wifi capability?  I see that there is a Bradley Smart Smoker that has Bluetooth, anything that has Wifi?

Habanero Smoker

Most run the wires through the door opening, then closing the door. The door still makes a good seal. Running the wires through the door opening, makes it easier when you have multiple racks. If you only have one rack, then running the probe(s) through the vent works well.

Bradley does not make a smoker with wi-fi capability. I'm not sure if they are still manufacturing the Smart Smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.