Added 2nd Element, Digital 4 Rack Dead

Started by Pete_D, March 08, 2020, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete_D

Good afternoon and thank you in advance for the help.

I have owned a digital 4 rack for some time and decided to add a second heating element. Everything seemed to be working fine and as it should for a day or two, then the smoker popped a breaker and now it's dead in the water. I called Bradley to see if they could help me but as soon as I told them that I added the element they refused to help me. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. NOTHING comes on. I've tried multiple outlets, checked all the wiring. Etc.

Thanks again!

Pete

Habanero Smoker

Hi Pete_D

Welcome to the forum.

Since there are a few ways to do this second element mod, more information is needed. Such as how did you wire it. Did you wire back to the plug, or did you just use jumper wires from one element to the other. Also are you using a third party temperature controller such as an Auber PID, or are you depending on the generator and sensor to control the temperature. In addition what gauge wiring did you use.

Is the generator still working, or giving an error code, or dead? When you say breaker, are you referring to the house breaker, or the inline fuse of your Bradley.

In the meantime check the glass fuse. It should be located on the back of the generator, though I recall on member stating that the glass fuse could be located in another location.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pete_D

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 08, 2020, 01:26:18 PM
Hi Pete_D

Welcome to the forum.

Since there are a few ways to do this second element mod, more information is needed. Such as how did you wire it. Did you wire back to the plug, or did you just use jumper wires from one element to the other. Also are you using a third party temperature controller such as an Auber PID, or are you depending on the generator and sensor to control the temperature. In addition what gauge wiring did you use.

Is the generator still working, or giving an error code, or dead? When you say breaker, are you referring to the house breaker, or the inline fuse of your Bradley.

In the meantime check the glass fuse. It should be located on the back of the generator, though I recall on member stating that the glass fuse could be located in another location.

Thanks for the reply. I jumped the wires off the existing element. I am not using a third party PID altho I probably should. The wiring was equivalent to what is already ran, maybe a little bit bigger. Nothing major.

Nothing works, my generator has no power. I cannot find a fuse anywhere on the unit what so ever. I have also pulled the back side of the smoker and nothing looks burnt. The breaker was the one in my house.

Orion

Home breakers trip when they are subject to current draw exceeding their value. Excessive current draw often is a result of a short to ground . Your description sounds like somewhere in the smoker or associated cables you had a momentary short to ground which threw the breaker and likely burnt a circuit by frying a wire or a terminal connection.
You need to systematically check the cables and wiring within with an ohm meter by checking for continuity. ENSURE unit is not plugged in.
Start with the power supply cable that goes from wall to smoker. Someone in here had a failure similar to yours and the problem lay hidden within the power supply cable and receptacle on back of smoker. Replaced those two and problem solved .
The fusible link in your smoker is located behind the back panel about half way up the wall nestled in the insulation. It just looks like a connector placed in one of the wires from the temperature sensor . Check it too.
Check your mod work carefully including ring terminal crimps for security, integrity and shielding.
Always start with the simple things which means checking cables and receptacles , fusible link and wiring with an ohmmeter.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

I have an older Bradley that uses a 10amp glass fuse in the generator. Bradley may now be using an in-line fuse inside the generator. As for the in-line fuse located in the back panel of the cabinet, often it doesn't show signs that it has blown, so use a multimeter and check for continuity. Still if that in-line fuse blew, the generator would still have power.

In addition, since it was working fine the first couple of times, and now you are not getting power to the generator, plug the generator into a socket that is not part of a GFCI outlet circuit I see that you tried multiple outlets, but you need to make sure the outlet isn't a GFCI outlet. You may need to use an extension cord to locate an non-GFCI outlet. In my area the code is that outdoor, kitchen, and bathrooms must be GFCI outlets. So you may have to try an outlet in your living room. Over time GFCI outlets can become over sensitive or go bad. Also if the problem is linked to the GFCI outlets adding additional appliances on that same circuit can cause the GFCI to trip. Even if the Bradley does work when connected to a non GFCI outlet, it's worth checking the Bradley out further.

While checking the wiring check for worn out insulation, dust or debris that may be built up at the connections, dampness around the same areas and socket..

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Olev

Quote from: Pete_D on March 08, 2020, 12:47:35 PM
Good afternoon and thank you in advance for the help.

I have owned a digital 4 rack for some time and decided to add a second heating element. Everything seemed to be working fine and as it should for a day or two, then the smoker popped a breaker and now it's dead in the water. I called Bradley to see if they could help me but as soon as I told them that I added the element they refused to help me. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. NOTHING comes on. I've tried multiple outlets, checked all the wiring. Etc.

Thanks again!

Pete

Hi Pete,
With adding a second element , you exceeded the powersuply capacity and probably fried it.
Was it a new smoker? We never refuse helping our customers. Of course, if you modifying the appliance you will void the warranty but you can always buy a new part if needed.