Beef ribs and Boston butt together

Started by icefishr, April 01, 2020, 01:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icefishr

Hey all!

I'm a novice smoker, and I've done a few Boston Butts before.  I'd like to do another one, but also I'd like to try doing a couple racks of beef ribs at the same time.  Any advice as to how to do it.  Should I add the ribs later and do another smoke cycle?

Thanks
JB

Habanero Smoker

Hi icefishr;

Welcome to the forum.

That is a large load for the Bradley, so your actual cook time for the butt may take extra time. When to put the ribs in will depend on the type of beef ribs, and when you want to eat them. Do you want to eat them as a different meal, or at the same time as the butt?   I find timing beef ribs is difficult, because of the different cuts and inconsistency in thickness. When I smoke/cooked beef ribs in the Bradley; my times would be anything from 4 - 7 hours. I use different types of wood for beef and pork, but most of the time there is no major difference. Beef ribs I apply 2 hours of oak smoke, and for butts I use 4 hours of pecan.

Whichever way you do it you should plan on applying 2 hours of smoke to the ribs, 3 hours maximum. If you plan on eating the ribs at a different and earlier meal you can put the ribs in 1 or 2 hours after you started applying the smoke to the butts. Or you can start them at the same time then wrap the ribs in foil, after 2 - 3 hours of smoke, cook foiled for a couple of hours, then unfoil and cook to desired doness. Foiling ribs has it's plus and minus's. I find when I foil beef ribs they come out more moist, but tend to remind me of pot roast.

Or you can time it to finish when the butt is finished, by adding the ribs at the end of the cook time of the butt, and adding an additional 2 hours of smoke. I've never added more then 4 hours of smoke to my butts, but several forum members have posted that they apply 6 hours of smoke. At this point you won't get smoke penetration, but the smoke will adhere to the surface of the butt, as long as the surface is still moist. If you don't want to add additional smoke to the butt, you can wrap the butt in foil; but if you going to wrap at that point, you may want to wrap the butt when the internal meat temperature hits around 165°F. Wrapping at this time will speed up your cook time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Hello icefishr and welcome to the forum.....

icefishr

Thank you so much for the advice! I can't wait to try it this weekend. Would you put the butter on top, or the ribs?

Sorry that sounds inappropriate

Habanero Smoker

I believe I am interpreting your reply correctly. :) I would use butter only if I were to foil the ribs. Place pats of butter on the foil, place ribs on top of butter - meat side down, foil tightly.

You're welcome.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

watchdog56

And then sprinkle some honey over the ribs comes out great :P

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: watchdog56 on April 03, 2020, 08:25:24 AM
And then sprinkle some honey over the ribs comes out great :P

I'll have to try that next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icefishr

Actually I meant to say should I put the butt on top?? SMH. But now I am going to use butter... Tomorrow is the day. I will let you know how it turns out!

Habanero Smoker

Butter should work well. If you place the ribs below the butt, the drippings from the butt may change the flavor of the ribs. Depending on your taste that could be good or disappointing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icefishr

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

the meal went great!

I started the shoulder at 4am and put the ribs on about 11:00 we had ribs and pork for days!

I really appreciate all your help!

Cheers!

Habanero Smoker

Glad to read your cook went well. The butt and ribs sound delicious.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

watchdog56

Jessica King

In addition to honey, you can add sour berry confiture, you get an exciting, pleasant piquant taste. In our region, there is a farm that offers Black Angus embryos for sale. They have the best meat of elite breeds, which is really of the top grade and is always fresh. We always take Angus from their representatives because they grow it in the best conditions and monitor animal feed. In addition, animals are kept in good conditions and don't live under stress. Therefore, adrenaline and substances that emit aggression are not released into the meat.