How long for a 11lb butt at 225 out in the cold?

Started by Greaper, November 24, 2019, 06:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaper

I have a 11lb butt all rubbed and ready to go.  I would like to have it done by 7am tomorrow morning before I leave the house.  I am figuring on 1.5 hours in my electric smoker @ 225.  The one factor I am not sure about is how the cold outside will affect the time.  It is supposed to be in the 50's today but drop down to the mid to low 30's during the night.

With the outside temp I am thinking maybe I should allow almost 2 hours per pound.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

watchdog56

This is what I did with 2-8 lbs. With one you might be able to take a couple of hours off but the good thing is you can FTC it for quite a few hours. I have done 4 hours before and it is still plenty warm.

Feb 2 2019 put mustard rub on pork butt. 2-8lbs butts. Then applied 1/2 Jans dry rub. wrapped in cello
then in frig for 24 hours. Took out and spread rest of rub on and put in smoker. Outside temp 35.
Took butt out of frig and let get to room temp for 90 minutes before going in smoker. Preheated smoker to 260
then turned down to 220 when butt goes in. Smoked four hours using apple and hickory combo. After smoke stops
empty water pan and wood and fill water pan with water and 2 cup of apple juice. Cook until internal temp gets to 195.
Turn butts on racks.Took about 21 hours.Then FTC for 2 hours. It was excellent.

Greaper

Thank you for the information.  I just put it on.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Also, do you have any suggestions as to how to keep pulled pork warm for 8 hours after pulling it?

TedEbear

The ballpark time for smoking a butt is around 1-1.5 hours per lb.  I wouldn't try to keep it warm for 8 hours afterwards. Just pull it, stick it in the fridge and reheat about an hour before you are ready to eat.  Put it in a pan, add a cup or so of leftover drippings from the original cook or apple juice, cover with foil and put in the oven at 250 degrees until the meat reaches 165.

Greaper

It wound up taking 21 hours to get to 203 degrees. I let it rest for about 30 minutes then pulled it and vacuum packed it in 2 different bags. Then at dinner time I dropped the bags into the boiling water and about 30 minutes later they were ready to eat.

Thanks for the help.

Dingx3

What do you mean by turning the pork butts on the racks?

manfromplaid

pull the rack out turn it around 180% slide back in. there is more heat rising up the back  then the front.