Short smokes

Started by Misseem, July 02, 2020, 06:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misseem

What's your favorite short (2-3 hour) smoke?  Long smokes are great (butts/briskets etc) but take too much planning.  I want some things I can grab and throw on the OBS after lunch for dinner.  Let's hear yours....

Orion

One of my favourites is ground meat (beef or pork or venison or moose or a combination) spiced with a variety of spices ( your preferences) and formed into large balls. Push a pat of butter into each one and form over. Smoke for 2-3 hours at 240 F ensuring correct internal temperature is reached.
Can be eaten as is with mashed potatoes and gravy and other vegetables or pressed flat after cooking and used in burgers. The round shape retains moisture and flavour . A little ground up oxo cubes works well as one of your spices. You can also wrap them with bacon and toothpicks. Experiment and be bold with spices and herbs . Anything goes . Enjoy.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

A few may hit the four hour mark; pork loins, pork tenderloins, chicken parts (especially legs and thighs). You can convert almost any grill or oven recipe to smoke/cook in the Bradley; mainly the times need to be adjusted. For chicken you will find finishing them on the grill or under to broiler to crisp up the skin is a must to avoid "rubbery" skin. Another favorite is Atomic Buffalo Turds. You will find several recipes for that on this forum. A cabinet temperature of 225° -  250°F will work well for all these items.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

On the odd occasion I do short hot smokes they usually centre around fish and shellfish. For example I love smoked fish roe (eggs) sometimes using it to make taramasalata. Smoked mackerel is another, great in a seafood salad.
Manxman

cathouse willy

This is a recipe from this forum

Ain't your mommas meatloaf

SMOKE AND SPICE'S "AIN'T YOUR MOMMA'S MEATLOAF" I give them
                  100% of the credit.  Here is the recipe.  I used pecan and
                  have used maple, but I am spoiled and can't get away from
                  either of these.
                  I used an aluminum cheapo throw away pan to start it in and
                  then just cut the end on each side, fold down the end and
                  slide the meatloaf onto the jerky racks so that I don't worry
                  it will break apart because of its own weight.  Just the way I
                  do it, you can experiment!!
                  I don't saute my onions and the other things they say to do. I
                  am lazy and it tastes fine to me.  But, just in case you have
                  to follow to a T, take a T of veg. oil and saute all the
                  ingredients up to the ground beef.
                  1/2 cup minced onion
                  1/2 green or red bell pepper finely chopped
                  3 garlic cloves, minced
                  1 t freshly ground black pepper
                  1 t coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
                  1/2 t ground cumin
                  1 1/4 pounds of ground beef
                  1/4 pound of ground pork
                  1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
                  3 T sour cream
                  2 T Worcestershire sauce
                  1 large egg
                  1/4 cup stock, preferably beef
                  1 t Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste

heat smoker to 200 degrees. Mix everything together and make
                  into a mound and put into a smoke-proof pan.  Smoke it for
                  about 45 minutes (I think this is to firm it up so it won't
                  break apart on a rack) and then transfer it to your rack and
                  then cook it for another 1 1/2 hrs. 
                  Now, I never get off that easy with the time, so, I just put
                  the probe in it and cooked until it was between 160-165
                  degrees. I probe it  several different places before I pull it out.
                  I do a rack of bacon above it to keep it moist.  Your
                  preference though. sauce the loaf for the last 30 mins (optional)
                  Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.

manxman

cathouse willy has posted the recipe for one of the best things to come out of a Bradley IMHO, I use exactly the same recipe but do things somewhat differently!  :) 

I make around 7kg / 15lb of the meatloaf mix then use a couple of old bread moulds to make 2 sizes of meatloaf roughly 1-2 person and 3-4 person then cold smoke using oak for a couple of hours. The smoked uncooked meatloaves are then put in equivalent sized aluminium foil containers complete with a lid and frozen apart from one which is used straight away!  ;)

Then when needed just take one out and cook from frozen in the foil carton, around 70 - 90 minutes at 180C / 350F in a fan oven depending on size (I have never checked the IT!), this way when only meatloaf will do they are immediately to hand and choice of bacon and or sauce is optional but can still be added during cooking.  8)

Friend of mine is an ex Blue Badge Tour Guide in London who is something of a foodie, gave him one recently as he was stuck in a house on his own during lockdown and he said it was one of the best things he had eaten... ever!  ;D

And of course as cw says
QuoteSMOKE AND SPICE'S "AIN'T YOUR MOMMA'S MEATLOAF" gets 100% of the credit.
Manxman

aboperdnom

Smoked poultry, which has a specific flavor and aroma, has always been considered an exquisite delicacy. It is served as an independent appetizer or used in the preparation of various dishes - salads, fillings for pancakes and pies. There is nothing more delicious than poultry with smoke, and if it is smoked at home, it will be especially delicious and healthy. I bought the best meat grinder and started trying it. For classic smoking any fresh poultry meat is suitable - well-fed young ducks, geese and chickens, preferably females, because they have more tender and soft meat. Some people gut the carcass and I decided to make minced smoked meat. Unusual, but it seemed to work. Tomorrow I'll take it out and try it.

Habanero Smoker

Hi aboperdnom;

Welcome to the forum.

I have to agree. Smoked chicken is one of the best food to eat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Hi aboperdnom and welcome to the forum. I'll second both Hab and you about smoked poultry, my favourite!!