What's the best place to get butcher paper in Canada?

Started by waynerto, August 07, 2020, 09:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynerto

I see that a lot of the regular posters on the forum are also in Canada which is very helpful.  What is the best place in Canada to get butcher paper?  I plan to use it to wrap briskets, etc rather than using foil.

Amazon.ca?  They have 175' rolls for about $35-40.  Is that my best bet.  Any other options?  What width should I get, 18" or 24"?

CoreyMac

Halfords has it. It's in Edmonton but they would ship it. If you decide to get it they call it freezer paper.

Corey

Habanero Smoker

When you purchase it make sure you get the uncoated butcher paper for best results. The coated paper will trap in too much moisture, and you that would be the same as using foil.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Orion

If you're planning to substitute tin foil with butchers paper for the tenting (resting) period on your meats I would suggest buying a small roll of parchment paper. You can try it out without investing too much money and it has a multitude of uses in the kitchen and around the bbq.
Most all grocery stores have it in the food wrap section.
As previously mentioned, true butcher paper has a waxy side and is intended for wrapping meat prior to freezing and not intended to be subjected to heat .
Parchment paper is what you want... google it.

If you really want or need butcher paper I just go to my local meat cutter and buy a roll of the professional stuff from him. It's not cheap but is a must for long term wrapping and freezing meat.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

I believe waynerto is planning to use the butcher paper to wrap the meat during the cooking period (Texas crutch) instead of using foil. There are a fair amount of barbecue competitors that use this method. Some don't like foil coming into contact with the meat, but most use it because you get a better bark then using foil. For this reason it is best to get the uncoated butcher paper. It is usually called Pink Butcher paper, but you need to be careful, because I've seen pink paper that is coated.  If your purpose is to improve the bark, parchment paper is coated with silicon, and would be the same as using foil Also I've never seen it come in wide enough rolls that would make it easy to wrap the meat. Butcher paper has the same ignition point as parchment paper.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Orion

I stand corrected regarding the use of pink butcher paper. I never knew it can be used for anything other than packaging for freezing . Thanks HS and apologies to Waynerto for  giving misleading info.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

It's just one of those things I learn about over the years of being a bbq judge. Now if only I could judge and keep my weight into check.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

waynerto

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 08, 2020, 02:37:38 AM
I believe waynerto is planning to use the butcher paper to wrap the meat during the cooking period (Texas crutch) instead of using foil. There are a fair amount of barbecue competitors that use this method. Some don't like foil coming into contact with the meat, but most use it because you get a better bark then using foil. For this reason it is best to get the uncoated butcher paper. It is usually called Pink Butcher paper, but you need to be careful, because I've seen pink paper that is coated.  If your purpose is to improve the bark, parchment paper is coated with silicon, and would be the same as using foil Also I've never seen it come in wide enough rolls that would make it easy to wrap the meat. Butcher paper has the same ignition point as parchment paper.
Yes this is 100% correct.  Looking at some online cooking sites, like Hey Grill, Hey, the cooks say that they prefer butcher paper due to the bark that you get.  If you do searches on Amazon you will see mention of smoking meat, as in:
QuotePink Kraft Butcher Paper Roll - 18 Inch x 175 Feet (2100 Inch) - Food Grade FDA Approved – Peach Wrapping Paper for Smoking Meat of All Varieties – Made in USA – Unbleached, Unwaxed and Uncoated

Here is a link on Amazon Canada:  https://www.amazon.ca/Travel-Airport-Carry-Backpack-Shoulder/dp/B0776JH663/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=butcher+paper&qid=1597156177&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNFk5TDZaNVNQQzFVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDA2NTcxT1JRVTZKUEhBTDZIJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMTY5NjgyRjIzNjZYM0pNTlM2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It comes in 18" wide and 24" wide.

AlikerStone

You will waste time and money looking for a specialized place where the paper will be sold. If you want to replace the foil, I advise you to purchase parchment paper. In the case of cooking meat, there is no special paper.
If you are going to cook macaroons, you will need silicone-coated parchment paper. For the rest, anyone will do. I recently ordered Mediterranean food catering for my wife's birthday celebration. We used foil to transport meat because it does not leak.
Therefore, think before buying parchment paper. Good luck!

TedEbear

Quote from: AlikerStone on May 09, 2022, 05:41:47 PM
You will waste time and money looking for a specialized place where the paper will be sold. If you want to replace the foil, I advise you to purchase parchment paper. In the case of cooking meat, there is no special paper.
If you are going to cook macaroons, you will need silicone-coated parchment paper. For the rest, anyone will do. I recently ordered Mediterranean food catering for my wife's birthday celebration. We used foil to transport meat because it does not leak.
Therefore, think before buying parchment paper. Good luck!

After nearly two years since the OP started this thread I imagine he has already bought something.