Smoke generator burner plate temp

Started by baddesign, October 20, 2021, 04:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baddesign

Hi,

I have an original smoke generator that is not generating much smoke and the briquettes are not overly charred when discarded.

Every thing appears to be working ok, 20 minutes between pushes and the puck is sitting flat.

I can only think the plate isn't getting hot enough, its getting to about 318c, outside of the cabinet (indoors) and with no pick on it, does anyone know what temp it should reach?

TedEbear

I don't know if there's an official temp from Bradley but in the thread below, one reply said his burner runs 550°F - 555°F (288°C - 291°C). 

Bisquette burn?

If the plate is getting hot enough and you are sure that the pucks are sitting completely flat on the burner and the burner surface is clean, the only other thing I could think of is if there's something wrong with the pucks you're using.  Too much moisture?  I don't know but maybe try a puck or two from a different box and see if that changes anything.

Here's a thought.  One of the FAQs about the pucks not burning thoroughly mentions the smoker not getting enough power and thus not getting hot enough.  You said that you measured the temp of the smoke generator plate indoors.  Thus, you probably had it plugged into a different outlet than when you're using your smoker outside.  It may be getting hot enough when plugged into that indoor outlet but not when it is plugged into a different one outside.  Plugging the Bradley into an extension cord or an outlet that is on the same circuit as a major appliance will reduce power to it and can cause lower operating temps. Try to verify the surface temp when it is plugged into the same outdoor outlet that you normally use.

Here's a copy of the FAQ:

Bradley Smoker FAQ's - Answers
Submitted by: Habanero Smoker

Q. Bisquettes do not burn completely. Is this normal?

A.  After the bisquette is burnt, is should retain its shape, but noticeably be reduced in size. If you break one in half it should have a blackish color throughout. If not you may not have preheated the burner, or the burner is not getting enough power, or the burner may have a residue buildup, or your generator may not be cycling your bisquettes at regular 20 intervals, or worse – any combination of the four.

If only the first couple of bisquettes show signs of partial burning, that is a good indicator that you did not preheat the burner, or did not preheat it long enough. Turn the generator on and preheat the burn at least 20 minutes prior to loading the feeder tube. I don't load my feeder tube until I am ready to start smoking, so I turn my generator on when I preheat the cabinet.
If you do this with the digital you will have to reset your smoke time when you load the feeder tube.

If all bisquettes consistently or intermittently show signs of partial burning; it could be caused by a dirty burner plate. You will need to clean the face of the burner plate off. The best way to clean it is to use a wire brush, and gently brush off any residue buildup. The use of denatured alcohol helps with the tough areas; just make sure your burner plate is cool. Also several have reported that this happens when they are cold smoking, so the cabinet temperature may have some control over how the bisquettes burn.

Consistent or intermittent signs of partial burning could also be a sign that the burner not getting enough voltage. Check to see if other electrical equipment is plugged into the circuit. The smoker should be plugged into its own dedicated wall circuit. If not try unplugging or not running some appliances that share the same circuit; if that is an option. If you are using an extension cord, use the shortest cord possible, and make sure it is at least a gauge 12.

If your generator is not cycling the bisquettes properly click on  "My bisquettes advance, but are not cycling every 20 minutes?".

If the problem persists contact Bradley customer service.

Habanero Smoker

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

The measurement I got from my generator averages around  550°F - 555°F, though another member was only getting a reading just below 500°F. The information TedEbear posted should help resolve the problem.

Just a follow up question. Are all varieties of bisquettes not burning completely or just certain varieties. In the past I've gotten bisquettes that were loosely compressed, to those tightly compressed. The more compressed they are the more poorly they tend to fully burn.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

baddesign

Thanks for the replies.

I had been a member here many years ago, got a new laptop since then but it didn't like any of my email addresses for the forgotten password feature, so had to register again.

There are some good suggestions.

I will try a different extension lead and a different socket and test the temp.

I will also get some new pucks as they have been a in the garage for a while (very dry), or maybe pop them in a low oven for a bit to drive any moisture out.

Thanks again.