Solid wood puck

Started by flyinfill, August 26, 2020, 02:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinfill

Has anyone experimented with a solid puck cut from a board with a hole saw.

TedEbear

Not that I recall.  There have been several people who have made pucks out of sawdust, although I don't know if the effort would be worth the cost savings.

For my personal cost saving move, I transformed my Bradley into a pellet smoker a few years ago when the pucks were in short supply and I learned about the A-MAZE-N pellet tube.  A $20 bag of pellets lasts me well over a year.

Habanero Smoker

As TedEbear stated there are posts where some members have made there own out of sawdust. That process looks labor intensive.

There have been a few posts where members have tried solid wood pucks, some even have tried drilling several holes into each puck to help the smoking process. With a 125w burner they didn't have much success.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

I tried a solid oak puck last year and it never got hot enough to actually smoke before it got pushed into the water pan. I placed it on the puck heating element and it got really hot, but never started to smoke, even after 30 - 40 minutes. So it was a fail for me.

nakshinam

I created a solid oak puck with a circular outcut drill attachment.  I put it on top of a bisquesquette.  The smoke was not as heavy, but did last for 3-5 hours.  The outcome was OK...

Habanero Smoker

Hi nakshinam;

Welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)