USING THERMOMETER VICE A PID

Started by prestonlewisjr, October 29, 2020, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prestonlewisjr

Want to make sure I am correct.  I am going to replace heating element to 900W.  I have read a lot of forums that its recommend to get a PID to bypass unit for better temperature of the meat.  Could I just purchase a Thermopro TP20 instead spending more money on a PID?

Habanero Smoker

The Thermopro TP20 and a PID is not the same type of device. The Thermopro TP20 is only a monitor that gives you the option of either monitoring the temperature of two meats, or one meat and the oven temperature. The type of PID that is mentioned in many posts in this forum will control the oven temperature to what you set it to then monitor it. It will also have at least one additional probe to monitor the meat temperature.

So with a PID you would plug your smoker oven into that device, and the PID will bring your smoker up to, and control the temperature you set it to. With the Thermopro TP20, you setup the Bradley  as you would normally do, and use the probes to just monitor the temperatures - it can't control the temperatures.

There are other third party devices that can control your temperatures that are less expensive, but not as accurate as the PID. Do a search on this board for "Inkbird Temperature Controller", or do a google search. There are also other brands out their.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

prestonlewisjr

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)