Greg's spicy beef sticks - my turn

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, March 07, 2014, 02:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I've been drooling looking at the pics of everyone else doing this recipe so I had to give it a try, 5 pounds.  My first go at sticks, mostly good so far but had a bit of a weird experience.

While I was stuffing I had a large blow-out.  No problem, I squeezed out all the meat and re-stuffed into another casing.  As you can see in the pics, the strand that was stuffed twice didn't shrivel hardly at all and reached 155 F far ahead of the other strands.  I figure that the one that was stuffed twice became almost emulsified and maybe that had something to do with the results.  Any thoughts on this?  Everything else is coming along fine.  My plan is to try this recipe with elk next.

Stuffed and ready to smoke.  The twice stuffed is top left.

After two hours of hickory smoke, good colour.

This is the two-timer.

Smoke some

Your sticks look good...took on some nice color  did you add a little more heat to these....
also what size casing are you using on these?

WoodlawnSmoker

Yeah, I added a bit more cayenne, black pepper and red pepper.  Not much, but because I haven't tasted them yet I have no baseline, but I do know I like spicy.  I used 22 mm collagen casings, I wanted smaller but all the suppliers I tried seemed to be back ordered.  This was a fun project even though I haven't tried them yet, can't wait.

pensrock

Even though I called them "Spicy" that all depends on ones own taste. For me they are not spicy enough and I always add more cayenne or chipotle if making them for myself. If making them for everyone to eat I pretty much just follow the recipe. But thats what is nice about it, try it and adjust it to your own liking. :)

Saber 4

brian57

Where do I find recipe new to all this ty

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ratherbboating

Getting ready to do a 5 lb batch of these sticks.  Going to divide in half and do some HOT and some with heavy garlic.  Try to post pictures later.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Habanero Smoker

Sounds good. One of these days I'm going to make a batch. The hot batch with extra garlic sounds great. Let us know how they turn out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Edward176

Yeah, they look really good!!!!!
Please let us know how they turn out....

ratherbboating

I made the links, used collagen casing, followed the basic recipe fairly close, 5lb batch.  Then divided the meat into two parts.  One part just added lots of fresh garlic, you can smell and taste the garlic in these.   The other part I added 1 tsp of Smoke Serrano pepper, this spice is hot and expected that if I added more it would be too hot.  It added some hottness after you eat it (after burn), but not as hot as I had expected.
I did long links, mistake.  Should have done shorter links so I could move then some, had them hanging on rods.  The bottom of the links were overcook, not too bad, but a little dry.  Had my temp probe about halfway between the top of a link and the bottom (near the heat source).  I pulled when it said 152F.
Next time:
Make sure I rotate the links around so top and bottom heat about the same.
Going to add fresh hot  pepper next time.
Over all, I like both and when I finish this batch, I will make some more hot ones
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Habanero Smoker

These do sound good. I hope I can get a batch done within the next week.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Edward176

Sounds like they turned out really good, congratulations!!!  Enjoy