Overnight

Started by 204Bradley, April 07, 2021, 05:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

204Bradley

Planning on smoking a pork shoulder/butt this weekend along with baked beans.  Reading 2 hours/lb seems typical, so 8lb shoulder should be 15 - 16 hours but the beans are only 3 hours.  I realize IT is key.  I'm planning for 3 hours smoke for the pork.  Any suggestions for first go to accomplish this?

Habanero Smoker

There are many ways to accomplish this. I'll cover the way that I do it. First plan of much more time than you estimate. Due to the slow recovery time for the Bradley to get back up to temperature, it will take more than 2 hours per pound. You may be looking at 18 - 20 hours. A search will give you several ideas on how to do this.

What I do is prep the butt at least 2 hours prior to putting it in the smoker. Prepping the butt up to 24 hours in advance is better. If you prep more than 2 hours in advance, wrap the butt tightly in plastic wrap, put it on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the refrigerator. If you prepare the butt in advance take it out of the refrigerator about 2 hours prior to smoking. I use the "The Renowned Mr. Brown" rub. Some smear the butt with mustard to help the rub adhere to the meat and improve the bark, but I prefer to use either peanut oil or olive oil.

Preheat your smoker and bisquette burner to 275°F if you can get it that high. Place the butt in the smoker, load the bisquette (I like to use 4 hours of pecan), and adjust the oven temperature to 225°F. Typically if I want to serve the pulled pork at 1PM, I will start it at 8PM the previous day. After the smoke has been applied, I will empty the water bowl, and add fresh water (around midnight), and make sure the drip tray is not plugged up. I generally will get up at 4 or 5 AM and check the smoker, and again empty and refresh the water bowl.

I not only go by IT, but also by the texture. The IT is a guideline, I take the butt out when I can slide a dinner fork into the butt, and twist it. If the butt finishes sooner than you had expected, you can use a method that on this forum is called FTC. Wrap the butt in foil, then in a towel that you are not likely to use again for bathing, and place in an empty cooler. This will keep the meat hot and safe for many hours; until ready to pull.

As far as the beans, you could start them at the same time as when you start the butt, but you will need to find a way to cool the beans rapidly, and refrigerate until it is time to reheat.  It you cook them both at the same time you can place the beans under the butt to catch the drippings, while you are applying the smoke. I would just check to make sure that the beans are not collecting too many dripping. Or you can put them in the smoker at the end of the cook. If you want to add smoke to the beans, you would have to add more bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

204Bradley

Thanks for the tips.  I was thinking Hickory, Pecan never even came to mind.  Interesting

On another forum they suggested replacing the water bowl with an aluminum pan.  More water and room for pucks to drop.

I think I do the beans at the start and then reheat.

I'll try the FTC seeing not planning to serve until 6 ish.  I'll try your timing and just back it up an hour.

Habanero Smoker

Looks like you have a good plan in place, and that you will be enjoying some good pulled pork.

If by chance the timing is off, and you are running short of time, you can move the butt to a 325°F oven during the last few hours. Or after the bark has set, or the IT is around 160°F, you can wrap the butt tightly in foil, and place it back in the Bradley. That will cut down you cook time by a few hours.

Hickory will also work. Many members use an aluminum pan; when you use that it is best to fill it with hot water.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

204Bradley

So far so good.  Looks like it's sitting at the stall.  After 5.5 hours climbing pretty slow.  148 - 162.  I've got all day. Smells and look's yummy when I checked the water this morning.

Habanero Smoker

Looking good at this time. Let us know how it turned out, and how close your timing was.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

204Bradley

End result was fantastic.  I did end up having to finish in the oven though.  I wrapped it in foil after 20 hours and threw it in the oven for an hour to bring it to temp.  Overall very pleased with the first smoke.

Edward176

"End Result Was Fantastic"  words that smell and taste yummy..... Congrats on a successful smoke. Enjoy...

Habanero Smoker

Congratulations on your first smoke. One thing about smoking and barbequing; you often have to adapt and/or roll with the punches. Great job.

I
         don't
                   inhale.