New member!

Started by Shak83, June 04, 2021, 11:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shak83

Hi everyone! Just purchased a new Bradley P10 smoker and excited to cook my first brisket on there! Will look to you guys as seasoned veterans for some help and guidance! ☺️

Habanero Smoker

Hi Shak83;

Welcome to the forum.

I feel you made a good choice in your purchase. We often learn from each other. Looking forward to your posts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shak83

Excited to cook my first brisket but I do have a question which will sound so trivial I'm sure.

I've tried cooking smaller briskets which were about 4 or 5lbs but in order for the meat to become super tender and the fat to have rendered, does the internal temperature always have to be between 190F - 200F regardless of the size of the brisket?

Edward176

Greetings and Welcome aboard Shak83..

Habanero Smoker

At 4 to 5 pounds it looks like you have just the flat, or maybe just the point.

I don't like my brisket super tender, but tender enough that a slice stays together when picked up by one end, and can easily pulled apart. I would say yes to the temperature range you have given, but some will take them to around 203°F. I start checking around 195°F or so. When a probe, inserted at the thickest part, goes in like a hot knife through butter, it's done. If you wrap the brisket after the bark has set, that will shorten your cook time, and keep some moisture in. Adding a little liquid while the brisket is resting will also help restore some moisture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Shak83

Thanks for the reply! I think I've been a bit impatient and felt like the temperature was crawling to the 165F and then took it out but I guess I need to be more patient!

I've actually ordered a 5kg brisket now so this I expect will take substantially longer! Will let you know how I get on and thanks for the help!

TedEbear

At around 150-160°F, the meat goes through a stall period where the IT rises very slowly compared to how it was cooking before then. Wrapping (Texas Crutch) helps get it through that period faster but resist the temptation to remove it from the smoker too early and say that it has cooked long enough.  The stall period is when the magic happens and the meat gets tender.  I usually cook mine until 202°F, after checking with a meat probe for tenderness.

The BBQ Stall Explained: How to Beat It

Habanero Smoker

A 5kg brisket will take much longer. As TedEbear mentioned, wrapping will shorten the cook time. Ninety percent of my stalls start around and between 160°F to 165°F.

If you still have some of that tough brisket left, and it has not been sliced you can tightly wrap it in foil, add a little liquid and cook it in a preheated 250°F to 300°F oven until tender. You can check the tenderness by sticking the probe through the foil; no need to unwrap.

I
         don't
                   inhale.