Non advancing bisquettes

Started by djpiszyk, July 04, 2021, 12:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djpiszyk

I have a digital smoker. The bisquettes won't advance if there are more than 5 in line. Ive used this smoker probably 15 times since purchasing it.

I contacted customer service , they say I need a new bisquette pusher...It cost $9.00 plus shipping...

Has this happened to anyone else? What was your fix?

I don't want to baby sit the smoker by hand feeding bisqutettes,,,But this thing shouldn't require new parts after 15 uses...... It's out of warranty of course...

Thanks for the help...Happy Smoking......

Habanero Smoker

Hi djpiszyk,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your situation. The only thing I can think of is if you are setting the smoke time properly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

djpiszyk

setting the smoke time? How does the timer affect the bisquettes not advancing? Please clarify..Thanks

Habanero Smoker

The digital has a timer that needs to be set for the amount of bisquettes your want to use. Each bisquette burns for 20 minutes. So if it is only feeding 5 bisquettes that would be 1 hour and 40 minutes on the smoke time setting; but only three will make it to the bisquette burner. So you either have to add two additional bisquettes to the amount of smoke you need, or search the internet for "bisquettes savers".

Once the smoke timer reaches zero it will stop feeding bisquettes. For example; if you want to smoke for 4 hours you need to set the smoke time by pressing the "ON/OFF SMOKER" button. Then set the smoke time by pressing the "Smoker Timer Set button" - then adjust the time for 4 hours 20 minutes. After 20 the bisquette burner should be preheated, now load your bisquettes and advance the bisquettes by pushing the Wood button three times to move the first bisquette to the burner. When the 4 hours expires the timer will reach zero and no more bisquettes will be advanced.

That is what I meant about setting the smoke time properly. I hope that is what you needed clarification on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

djpiszyk

Thanks. I am aware of the timer. The issue is that the bisquettes don't feed properly and thus do not advance. They appear to get hung up as they are dropping , It works fine with 4 bisquettes , As soon as I load up more than 5 it gets hung up.

The timer is not the issue....

Habanero Smoker

Bradley is probably right about the bisquette pusher sensor being bad. But first make sure your bisquette burner surface is clean (also the entire track; especially where the pusher rubs against the side rails), and there is not residue build up that may be interfering with the bisquettes' travel over the burner. If there is any interference in the travel of the bisquette, the pusher will retract. I use a small brass wired brush that I can always find and purchase at my local Dollar Tree. Make sure the burner is cool, use the brush with a little of isopropyl alcohol to scrub the surface, and wipe off with a paper towel.

There is a way to check the sensor, but I don't know how accurate the test is. Remove the feeder tube. Push the Wood button. When the bisquette pusher pulls back, stick your finger down in the hole. When the pusher comes forward and hits your finger, you should feel slight pressure on your finger, before the pusher retracts. If it just barely touches your finger then retracts, your pusher sensor is bad and need to be replaced. If you don't want to stick your finger down there; which is understandable, then use a pencil to judge how much force the pusher makes before retracting.

I understand your point of view, but to get backup and running, $9 plus S/H; may be worth it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.