Drip Pan Clogging

Started by spoonmantn, June 21, 2021, 11:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonmantn

Anyone else have issues with the hole in the drip pan clogging and backing up into the puck feeder then eventually into the electronics housing?   :-[

Habanero Smoker

Hi spoonmantn;

Welcome to the forum. Does this happen all the time, or only when you are smoking fatty cuts like butts, brisket, or a large load of ribs or chicken with skin.

I haven't had this problem, but other than a few butts since I've had this smoker, and the brisket I smoked/roasted the other day, I haven't cooked that many fatty foods that could cause this problem. I also place a disposable pan on a rack beneath the food to collect most of any grease drippings. This is something that Bradley recommends. You don't want a pan that is too big, but one that doesn't completely cover the rack, and can still catch most of the grease.

If you have a BJ's nearby I get these shallow half size steamtable pans. What makes these different from regular half size steamtable pans is that the sides are only 4.5-inches. BJ's calls them lasagna pans. The actual dimensions are 12 3/4"L x 10 3/8"W x 4 1/4"H. I find this length and width provides pretty good coverage, while still allowing the proper circulation of smoke and heat. I've even smoke chicken thighs from start to finish inside these pans with very good results. You can use regular size half size steamtable pans, but it will take up an extra rack space.

Another thing you could do is to periodically check the drip pan, and if necessary carefully use a metal putty knife, or a metal spatula that is not too wide, to remove buildup that could clog the drip hole opening. Don't scrape too hard or you may damage the porcelain coating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)