PID

Started by gizy-CA, August 26, 2021, 09:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizy-CA

PID
Hi...

Habanero Smoker

Bradley states they are using PID algorithm, they just need to do a better job programing it. I feel it would be very difficult to hook up a third party temperature controller. Every function is so completely integrated it seems it would take some rewriting. And with it's backup safety features, you may have to figure out a way around those.

For my use, I found it easier to learn how the P10 cooks and adjust my cooking to the equipment I am using, like I do my other cookers. The P10 keeps tight temperature readings, it just might be running high. For example I know at 250°F my P10 generally cooks 10 degrees higher than my Thermopen Signals is registering. I also know that although the P10 is cooking at 260°F, it is holding that temperature within +/- 1°F. Though it is running high the important thing is that the temperature is steady, and I have to shorten my cook time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

I understand your frustration. I stopped bothering with the CookTool after a short period of time. That temperature limit of not programming below 60C/140F; smells like it came out of their legal department. My thought is that the CookTool is geared toward restaurants, so an employee could easily place food in the P10, push a few buttons that corresponds to the recipe of that food, and walk away.

Because of the two 125 watt bisquette burners, I find it frustrating difficult to keep the P10 below 140°F, while applying smoke; even with ice. And after 1.5 hours of just applying smoke, it's difficult to keep the P10 under 180°F. The two burners may be more efficient in completely burning the bisquette, but I feel  it was overkill, and at the expense of not being able to cold smoke. There are vent slots at the bottom of the P10, and I may give some thought about pumping cold air into the unit through those vents.

I'm sure someone will figure out a way to hookup a third party PID.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)