puck advance timer issue [SOLVED]

Started by ramack, August 29, 2021, 03:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramack

Hi,

I picked up a used BTIS1 a couple years ago, it's worked pretty well without issue. Something that has started to happen the pass couple of uses is the pucks are not advancing every 20 minutes or so. The mechanism is free and will manually advance a puck when the advance button is pressed. Almost appears like there is something wrong with the timer circuitry or something.

Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks,

TedEbear

Welcome aboard.  Click on the thread below for a possible solution.

OBS not auto feeding every 20 min

The next link below talks about pucks continuously feeding (opposite of what yours does) but it has a pic of the microswitch and how to adjust it.  The microswitch can cause pucks to not feed at all or continuously feed if not properly adjusted.

Newbie question

ramack

Last week I took the smoke generator off the smoker and brought it inside by my desk as I did some stuff. I turned in on without any pucks and press the advance button. It advanced 1 puck every 18.5 minutes 3 times then stopped advancing. I unplugged the unit, turned it back on and pressed the advance button. It advanced 1 puck every 20 minutes 3 times then stopped. I'll do the same thing tomorrow to see if it repeats that pattern and troubleshoot.

Before using the smoker last, I did take the generator apart and cleaned it. I did notice the micro-switch, nothing looked 'wrong', everything looked intact, nothing broken. I can't think of why it would advance 3 times and stop. I'll look at adjusting the micro-switch, maybe that's the issue. Seems like if it was the switch it wouldn't work three times then stop.

Habanero Smoker

Take a look at the side rails that guide the bisquettes to the burner to see if there are any signs of wear. You may have to clean that area to get a good look to see if there is damage. If there is any signs of wear, one of the rails need to be adjusted.

The motor runs both clockwise and counterclockwise. Did you notice if the bisquette advance failed while the motor was going in one particular direction. That will also indicate that the problem is a side rail adjustment.

If it is a side rail problem, let me know, and I'll try to post the instructions to that in a later post. I'm not able to post photos so it's a little difficult to describe the fix without the photo.

One other thought. Make sure your feeder tube is inserted straight, and resting on the inner lip of the slot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ramack

Quote from: Habanero Smoker
Take a look at the side rails that guide the bisquettes to the burner to see if there are any signs of wear. You may have to clean that area to get a good look to see if there is damage. If there is any signs of wear, one of the rails need to be adjusted.
No, there were no signs of wear.

The motor runs both clockwise and counterclockwise. Did you notice if the bisquette advance failed while the motor was going in one particular direction. That will also indicate that the problem is a side rail adjustment.
Good question. No, I couldn't see the direction. I had the smoke generator assembled, with pucks not stacked or loaded. The whole mechanism was free to move (no pucks).

If it is a side rail problem, let me know, and I'll try to post the instructions to that in a later post. I'm not able to post photos so it's a little difficult to describe the fix without the photo.
One other thought. Make sure your feeder tube is inserted straight, and resting on the inner lip of the slot.

I don't think that it's an interference issue. The last two times I timed it, it stopped advancing after the third feed.

Habanero Smoker

You may want to contact Bradley to see if they have come across this problem.

I'll try to explain how to adjust the side rails (I believe Bradley refers to them as Push Rails), because that may be the issue causing the problem.

1- With the generator detached from the cabinet, turn the generator so the bisquette burner is facing you. You will see the rails that guide the "shuttle" (push plate) and bisquettes to the burner. There is one rail on each side. The push plate is the part of the generator that pushes the bisquettes to the burner.

2- On each rail there are two screws. Usually you would only loosen the two screws on the side you see the wear, but since you don't see any wear, you will need to loosen the two screws on each rail. Loosen the two screws on each rail, but do not remove them just loosen them.

3- Once the screws are loosen make sure the railing is loose enough to move. This may require some cleaning and removing built up smoke residue. It is is important that the rails move easily.

4- Finally push the wood advance button a few times this will let the motor align the push plate and rails - allowing it to find its own center line. Carefully tighten the screws, without moving the rail. Push the wood advance button to make sure the alignment is correct.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ramack

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 11, 2021, 04:09:04 AM
You may want to contact Bradley to see if they have come across this problem.
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that the past week or so. But I wanted to get more history of the timing and how many advances it makes before stopping. I've got the smoke generator set up again and will be able to make more timing measurements today and hopefully be able to contact Bradley this week.
Thanks

ramack

Last week I got around to fixing the smoke unit which had not been consistently advancing pucks. I'd contacting Bradley several times and spoke/emailed several people and out of anything else to "fix" or replace they suggested replacing the micro switch. Last week I replaced that switch and tested it for about 4 hours. During that time it cycled as it should every 18.5 minutes.

Not really sure what was wrong with the switch, I checked it several times for continuity and seemed ok, but the new switch resolved the timing problem. So marking this as solved.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for posting the update.

Glad to see you are up and running again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.