Need Help! Smoker getting to hot and not leveling out.

Started by tbronder5, September 10, 2021, 10:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

i have the digital and an auber.. pid controls cook temps and I have to use smoke generator for making smoke.

Agray56smoker

I did the 900w burner upgrade and bought an ink bird PID controller. My first smoke the temperatures went over quite a bit. Will try going back to using the Bradley temp control the next time.

Had the temp set at 225 and it set off the high temp alarm (248) every time it heated up before cooling off.

Was I doing something wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Hi Agray56smoker;

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not that familiar with the Ink Bird products. More information would be helpful. What model PID did you purchase? Was it one of their plug and play, of DIY units? Was it actually one of their PID models or less expensive controllers?

The only thing I can think of is to check your hookup and make sure you have everything plugged in correctly. If everything is hooked up correctly, you may have a faulty unit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Agray56smoker

It was the it-308 temperature controller. It is working correctly according to the lights on the unit, but it seems that it doesn't cool down very quick.

Agray56smoker

I'm gonna try using the Bradley to control the temp and see what happens.

Habanero Smoker

There have been a few users that have run the digital smoker with a 900w modification using the Bradley controls, but I would not leave the smoker unattended.

Check you HD (Heating Differential) setting. If it is too high that may be causing the Inkbird to overshoot. You should set that to either 1 or 2 degrees F.

If overshooting is the only problem you can try bringing the cabinet up to temperature in stages. Such as bring it up to 150°F, and let it stable at that temperature, then bring it up to 225°F. That may reduce a high overshoot in temperature.

As far as your hookup, do you have the cabinet plugged directly into the Inkbird's Heating socket, the Inkbird plugged in directly into a wall socket, and the generator plugged directly into a wall socket?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Agray56smoker

The HD and plugs are as you described. Tried the Bradley controls and seemed to work ok except the temp was way off with my probe. The probe was just above the meat.

Habanero Smoker

If the probe is just above the meat, the probe will read a lower temperature than the actual cabinet temperature. Moisture evaporating from the meat cools the air near and above the meat. In your other post I answered your question on where the best location to place the probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.