Auber control and Bradley plug wiring?

Started by Jfblizz, October 22, 2021, 11:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfblizz

I recently bypassed the thermal switch on my original Bradley smoker...left the thermal fuse as a backup. I have  an auber two probe PID controlling the smoke generator and the heating element. 
900 watt.

When I had the back off...I did not pay attention to how the plug was wiredat the back on the Bradley case.  Thought i did, but...

When put back together, the auber PID seems to function correctly, reducing output as set temp is approached, but the heating element just stays on full power.

Any ideas?

Thanks....

Habanero Smoker

This advice is a little late, but may help in the future. After making a similar mistake - forgetting how the wiring was connected; I now take a picture of the wiring as a reference; prior to disconnecting them.

I'm not clear what the problem is. Is the cabinet maintaining the temperature set on the Auber? If so then the Auber and heating element are working properly.

The Auber doesn't reduce output, it should cycle the element on and off to maintain the set temperature. I recall your goal was to run the Bradley at 300°F - by the way don't go beyond that The insulation in the Bradley will not withstand much higher heat. If you are testing the setup at 300°F, your 900w heater may have to stay at full power the entire time to maintain that temperature. Try your test at a lower temperature; such as 225°F, so see if the element cools off when it is cycles on/off.

If after testing at a lower temperature and the element doesn't cool down and remains at full power when the Auber is cycled off, then make sure you have your power cords properly connected.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jfblizz

Thanks for the response...the problem is that though the auber PID seems to be behaving normal, the lights flickers on and off as temp is reached...the heating element just stays on full power.  The on light on the smoke box stays on..does not flicker on and off.

So set to 200...auber output is steady .... When temp is reached though the element still is red hot and temp climbing.  It's not cycling the power, power seems to be just steady on...

Habanero Smoker

Are you sure you have the power cords plugged into the correct sockets?

If you are hooked up properly, then you may have a bad PID. Once you are past the set temperature the light on the PID should stay off (thus turning off the power to the element) until the temperature of the cabinet comes down below the set temperature. You should send an email to Auber and explain the problem. I heard he is very quick in responding, and very helpful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)