P10 worth it?

Started by jlpetersen1, September 28, 2023, 01:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlpetersen1

Hello,

Our current smoker is on its last leg after 7 years or so and this P10 looks Awesome. However, I see all the threads on here and then when I look online elsewhere I see the same thing and am concerned. Any news on if they are still having the same issues or have they got those issues worked out to where it's a solid smoker now? Being as expensive as it is I don't want to put that kind of money down on something that will give me problems all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

Hi jlpetersen1,

Welcome to the forum.

The P10 is a good smoker. Most people post when they have a problem with a smoker, and rarely post positive experiences, except for the food that is produced.

I have one of the earlier models, that when I last checked the firmware was not updatable. Since I've purchased mine, there have been several improvements in the firmware, and a new circuit board design. The firmware is updatable in these later models, as far as I know. Plus you can't beat Bradley's Customer service.

I haven't had many problems , either mechanical or physical, that I couldn't fix on my own, in a relatively short time. But others have had issues with the electronics, or the turntable. If you look at some of those posts, there could be some user error, but it is unknown since most don't report back if their problem was resolved and/or how it was resolved.

It's good for barbequing foods, but you can't cold smoke with it. Hot smoking; which I consider keeping temperatures between 100 - 180F, in itself is difficult. But if you mainly barbecue ribs, brisket, pulled pork, Rib Roast, chicken, turkey etc. it does a great job. Although it does apply more smoke than the other Bradley's.  Another thing to keep in mind, if you live in a cold climate; is that it will not operate if the ambient temperature is 16F or lower.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jlpetersen1

Thanks for letting me know your experience. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread and others. We have never cold smoked anything so we are good there. Glad to hear you haven't had many issues!

Habanero Smoker

Hopefully others will provide input.

There are a few things I find frustrating. One, when you power up it defaults to Celsius. I understand that the USA is only one of a few countries that use Fahrenheit, but it would be nice if the default setting could be changed. I don't use the CookTool. I find it's features are simply, and the settings are frustrating to setup. I haven't check out the CookTool in over a year, so it is possible that they have made improvements. Since I don't use the CookTool, I rarely use the Bradley probes, and rely on my Thermoworks Signal, so I can monitor the cook remotely. The child lock feature should be setup so that it can be disabled. I do find the smoke flavor to be stronger than the other models, and I had to adjust the amount of smoke that I have usually had applied with my Original Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)