Author Topic: new element doa ?  (Read 172 times)

Offline dasboat

new element doa ?
« on: October 23, 2021, 01:28:39 pm »
well i went to smoke something and had no heat coming out so i ordered a new element hooked all up and still no heat wtf :( i checked fuse and it looks good what else can i check?

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: new element doa ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 02:06:09 pm »
There are a few things.

1- When you replaced your element you may have pulled the wires out too far, which could have caused the wire to disconnect from the plug. You will need to take the back cover off the cabinet to check the wiring at the plug.

2- You may have received a bad replacement. Unhook the wiring from the element. Using a multimeter take an OHM reading of the element. It should read between 27 - 32 ohms. If it is not in that range, you have a bad element. Also test the element you removed. If that reading is within range, that will indicate the problem is not the element.

3- You didn't mention which fuse you checked, but there is an in-line fuse located in the back of the cabinet.  That fuse could have burnt out. The back panel of the cabinet needs to be removed to get to it. You can't visually tell if it is still good. If you have a multimeter you can do a continuity test, or use a piece of wire of the same gauge or larger to temporarily by pass the fuse.

4- Your temperature sensor could be bad, and stuck in the off position. Sometimes it can be reset by holding an ice cube on the sensor for a short period of time. If you look inside your cabinet, your will see a small disk on the backwall that is about the size of a quarter

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline dasboat

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 02:28:38 pm »
i got it going i plugged right to back of cabinet and seen it starting to heat up :) i then repluged all cords back in and gave them a good push and i got heat now. i am wondering if my old was still good too i will test it just to be sure before tossing.  thanx 

i forgot to ask do you guys hook that ground strip of metal back up as i didnt see anyone mention it? i put it back on once i found a new bolt and nut for it
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:34:12 pm by dasboat »

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 02:31:47 pm »
Good to see you are up and running again.

Your other element may be good, so at least you have a backup element. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Offline dasboat

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 02:34:43 pm »
haha i hope so

Offline dasboat

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 02:37:01 pm »
now i wait for the 15lbs roast the wife got to do jerky to thaw out some. damm i will be there for awhile
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:47:57 pm by dasboat »

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 02:47:03 pm »
Sounds good.

I just picked up a small top round that was on sale. Plan on making dried beef out of it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Offline dasboat

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 02:49:30 pm »
i just looked at it i under estimated it lol just under 15lbs oooppps lol