BTIS1 What is this part?

Started by cassenbl, November 16, 2021, 07:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassenbl

Hello. Been awhile. Had some health issues with my brain so hopefully my questions make sense. Inside the BTIS1 smoke generator was a small box with two metal strips on top of it with  red and black wires running from on/off light to it then to the power supply. It just looks like it was a wire terminal.  There is one similar by the fuse also.  The plastic deteriated which allowed the two wires to touch and blew the fuse. The straps stayed together (red to red / black to black). I just taped them up. Is it some type of thermal fuse?
Second question..can the BTIS1 be replaced with the newer one with the temperature dial on it? My old Bradley has the temperature slide in on the front of the fridge so if I replace with the newer one, do I have to rewire something? At the same time I am going to put the Tempco 900w.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hope all is well.

Habanero Smoker

Hi cassenbl,

I hope all is well with you.

It's been a while since I've taken a look inside my generator, so I'm not sure what that could be.

I'm not sure if the newer generator will work with the BTSIS1. But if you are going to install a 900w heater, when you wire the element you can by past the heating controller on the cabinet, and wire the element directly to the plug. You will probably need to order a new short power cord with the proper plug ends, to connect the generator to the cabinet. Such as a IEC-320-C14 to IEC-320-C13 power cord.

Are you going to order a third party temperature controller to control the 900w element? I'm not sure if the controller built into the generator can control that many watts. I believe I recall someone posted how he wired his generator after installing a 900w heater.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cassenbl

Thank you! Might have to get a plug and play PID like a Auber.
Still don't know what that box with the two strips of metal with blank and red wires connected to that I just shrink wrapped. Guess I'll know when I plug it in :P

Habanero Smoker

I don't have a clue what that box is. It may be part of the timer system. But after hearing about the deteriorating plastic I'm going to take my generator apart and inspect it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cassenbl

Sorry. I was away. The part I am talking about  is 1 1/2" square with a red and black wire running to it and each connects to a strip of metal that passes over itself and then connects to a red and black wire. Looking at it I pretty sure it is just a connect that you could unplug to remove other parts. Unsure why it is made this way unless they think this connection could get hot which is probably true since this plastic got very brittle and fell apart. It also insulates the connection from shorting to ground. There is another black box next to this and is larger. Maybe that could be part of the timing circuit. It has wires running up to the motor and heater.